Stain on bathroom walls

Old 02-14-07, 01:40 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stain on bathroom walls

I just bought a house about 9 months ago and there is a yellow stain that keeps appearing on the bathroom walls. I washed the walls on 2 different occasions and the stains come out with no problem. The stains appear in different places and they get darker unless I wash the walls. I know previous owners smoked. Could this staining be caused by cigarette smoke over the years? Thanks in advance!

Old 02-14-07, 02:49 PM
G
Yes, its nicotene.

Chances are the previous owner neither washed the walls, nor primed prior to selling. Just gave it the once over to sell the property.

Wash the walls, with simple green, mr clean, 409, and dilute it.

Then I would use BIN pigmented shellac. Smells like rubbing alcohol. Really really strong rubbing alcohol.

Then paint with bathroom latex. And wait for the rest of the walls in your house to develop the same issue.

Could be the added humidity in the B/R is causing the nicotene to leach out faster.

Good Luck!

BTW makes you wanna start smoking doesn't it?

Old 02-15-07, 07:35 AM
S
Thanks again Groundbeef!

Old 02-15-07, 12:13 PM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Good info from GB

The only thing is, you may run into someone (like a salesperson) who recommends Zinsser's Cover Stain (alkyd, or oil-based) rather than Zinsser's B-I-N (shellac-based) for this application

Technically, the Cover Stain is factory "recommended for nicotine stains"
Technically, the B-I-N is a more intense sealer
What they are saying is you shouldn't need to go as far as using B-I-N for nic stains

I'd still recommend the B-I-N for your application
Being in a bathroom with the high humidity, there's just no way I'd want to use anything but the best, most likely to work, sealer
And also, being in a bathroom, there may be adhesion issues
Again, IMO, the B-I-N is a better choice

Be forewarned, you'll want plenty of fresh air and a respirator, but it dries super quick and seals like nothing else
You'll want to remove any smell sensitive persons, small children, birds, etc....
Well worth it IMO

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: