railing

Old 02-16-07, 05:56 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
railing

Is there anyone in the industry that stains and varnishes railings? I have been approached by a builder to do thier complete house painting. It's been awile since I have done new construction that I don't know what the going rate is for new construction. What do other professional painters charge for staining and finishing hand railing or banisters by the linear foot? Is 2.00 a sqft low or high for new construction painting (3 coats and the woodwork) in Southern Ontario? thanks for any input. My main business is tile now but I painted for over 15 years prior so thats why I am out of the loop. Thanks again, Paso

Old 02-16-07, 08:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 721 Upvotes on 632 Posts
Wecome to the forums Paso

I used to paint a lot of new homes but the stair railing pieces were always included in the sq ft price of the home. The only time I charged extra over the sq ft price was when there was something out of the norm. I did have different sq ft prices based on different builders/types of homes.

I'm not sure that a small job like just the handrails could be priced by the ft. If I was to bid just that portion of the paint job, I'd estimate material and labor cost [including trips to the job] and go from there.

Old 02-16-07, 08:05 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
That's be a tough one
As most of the cost in painting is labor, and the "going rate" can vary greatly from are to area, region to region, even neighborhood to neighborhood

Maybe someone will post comparisons for your area, but you should really use your own numbers anyway
Just like tile, no matter where you are, you can figure your own numbers my knowing your labor costs, material cost, and production rates

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: