Caulking Crown Moulding

Old 02-24-07, 02:29 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Caulking Crown Moulding

I live in New England and every year about this time I look up at the crown moulding throughout my house and see the expansion gaps between the moulding and wall/ceiling that have been created as a result of the heating & cooling. I then spend weeks going from room to room re-caulking. Can anyone make a recommendations? Is there a particular type of caulk that's more durable?
Thanks!

Old 02-24-07, 02:53 PM
S
In your part of the country all home surfaces inside and out are exposed to major condition changes from heating and cooling as well as dry and humid air in various combinations.This causes wood such as mouldings to expand and contract while also shrinking and swelling.

Gaps forming and cracks reopening is a fact of life.The best caulk to use is a good quality siliconized latex blend.Avoid low end caulk.Go for higher end major brands.Dap is adequate and if available in your area White Lightening is a good product.

Avoid pure silicone as it is not usually paintable.

Go to a real hardware store not a big box where there is qualified help to assist you in choosing the best product for your situation.Dap makes many products and some are low end some are not.Some products are regional or limited in availability.

Old 02-24-07, 04:37 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I'd stay away from DAP caulk [I've had too many failures] I can second the use of white lightning caulk. There are some urathane caulks that are better but they can be hard to find. Bare minimum the caulk should be silconized acrylic latex which is paintable. Forcing caulk into the crack can help as it makes for a larger surface contact area.

Old 02-24-07, 04:44 PM
Y
i think we are missing the real problem.
we need to get the humidity level in you home constant.
you may need to get a humidifier and dehumidifier.
this will help with the expanding joints. but be aware if your moulding is shrinking your good furniture is too, if the wood gets too fry it will ruin your furniture over time
good luck
as for the caulking go to sherwin williams and ask for the best store brand, it allows for more expansion, if the manager reads new product info he will be able to give you the details

Old 02-24-07, 06:26 PM
J
What Youngeman said caulking is not the cure for your problem, the wood is only reacting to the humidity in the house. Every summer it will swell then shrink in the winter that's life especially with softwoods like pine.

Old 02-24-07, 07:15 PM
S
Sometimes it's simply not practical to expect to get the humidity levels constant
Especially in New England
My garage doors, my storm doors, my bedroom doors, my medicine cabinet doors are all wood and all expand and contract from season to season and day to day, sometimes from breakfast to lunch

To answer the original question I have been using Sherwin Williams 950A Siliconized Acrylic Latex Caulk (45 Year) in a professional painting capacity in pretty severe conditions out here
I have been very pleased with the results and have been using it almost exclusively

Old 02-27-07, 03:22 AM
D
an elastomeric caulk will help. It will stay flexible and comes in paintable versions. It should last longer than most other caulks but nothing will last for ever.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: