Isn't primer supposed to adhere to spackle?

Old 03-04-07, 09:07 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Isn't primer supposed to adhere to spackle?

Please help.

Isn't primer supposed to adhere to spackle? It may sound like a stupid question, but I repaired some nail pops in a bedroom, spackled (thin layer), sanded very smooth, primed, waited and primed again. However, after letting the 2nd coat primer dry, if I pinch the patched surface, I'm able to peel the primer off (only the area where there is spackle) the primer adheres to the surrounding surface. I'm using Kilx Premium primer and the spackle container states that it is paintable. This is a fairly new house, the previous coat was a builders grade paint (MAB freshkote)

Please help because I've repeated this step 2 times with the same results.

Old 03-05-07, 04:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the diy forums

You are probably not allowing the primer long enough to cure. It is seldom necessary to apply more than 1 coat of primer.

Old 03-05-07, 04:28 AM
S
Yup, what marksr said

Also, it might not be the primer

A) The repair area could need better prep
Don't forget to sand the area before "spackling"

B) the "spackle" could be dried out
And make sure the 'spackle" is in good shape and the right consistency
and

C) The repair area could be too big for "spackle", and require joint compound
If the nail pop is as big as a thumb print, it requires joint compound, not "spackle"
The size of the hole/dent to move up to joint compound can be smaller than 1/2 of a penny

Old 03-05-07, 07:34 AM
S
Thank you for your reply.

The repair has gradually increased in size with each retry because I covered the "peeled primer" area with spackle (after sanding smooth), I was afraid that it would be noticable if I didn't.

I definitely sanded the surface before applying spackle...I believe the spackle is of the right consistentcy...it wasn't hard to work with.

The repair area is now approximately 4"x4". So I suppose I should
(1) use joint compound, or
(2) Sand (remove) all spackle down so that only the nail pop is covered. Do you think the "peeled" area will show through if I don't use joint compound over it, or will just sanding this area be enough.

Damn, I never knew there was difference between spackle and joint compound.

Old 03-05-07, 07:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Spackling is meant for minor repairs, I seldom use it because I almost always have j/c on hand. As a precautionary measure I'd redo it all with j/c but you might get by with spackling. You will have to spackle/mud the edges to keep them from showing.

Old 03-05-07, 08:12 AM
S
I'd suggest joint compound also

Especially if your talking that light weight latex spackle, it just won't cut it on the larger repairs

Old 03-05-07, 01:33 PM
G
I'll address the 800lb elephant in the corner. You say the primer is not sticking to only the patch. You also indicated that you sanded the patch.

Any chance you didn't wipe down your patch after sanding? Sounds like an adhesion issue NOT related to the primer, but rather the surface. A quick test would be to take your peeled primer sample, and wipe the patch side on a dark cloth. If you get some dusting on the cloth there is your issue.

Sanding is important, but it equally important to REMOVE the sanding dust for adequate adhesion.

A simple swipe with a moist (not wet) rag or cloth will be more than enough to take the dust off. Dry time should be less than 5 minutes before priming.

Good luck.

Last edited by groundbeef; 03-05-07 at 01:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-05-07, 04:08 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Good point gb!
sometimes the obvious is over looked

Old 03-06-07, 10:40 AM
S
I did clean with a dusting brush, but not with a damp cloth.

I have a few patches, so I'm going to use JC on most. I'll try one or two with spackle and throughly clean the patch. If anything it will be a learning experience. I'll know for next time.

I used spackle before on approx. same size patches w/o issue. I'm starting to think that the primer needs a few days to completely cure over the patched area (among other things). It's probably not as porous as drywall?

Thanks all for your input.

Old 03-06-07, 11:41 AM
G
OP, heres another "tip" for you to consider. Although sometimes the temptation to pick, scrape, pull, or "pinch" as you put it in your post seems overwhelming, RESIST.

Just let it dry. And now based on your initial experience, I have a feeling that you will want to check adhesion even more. Just sand, wipe, prime, paint, and call it a day. If after a couple of weeks it appears that the paint is blistering, or falling off, then address the issue.

Good Luck.

Old 03-06-07, 01:03 PM
Sounds like an adhesion problem for sure, besides a good sanding and a good cleaning with a damp sponge, make sure you didn't sand the surface too smooth, I mean don't use #800 sand paper, the scratches, small as they are help with adhesion and wait at least 4 hours between coats of primer. When I make repairs, I only use 1 coat of primer, after all, it is only a "primer" for the paint.
Good luck.
DanO

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: