Remodeling master bedroom and bathroom

Old 03-05-07, 10:59 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Remodeling master bedroom and bathroom

Hi, we plan to remodel our master bedroom in two weeks. We want to have new carpet installed in the bedroom, have tiles installed in the master bathroom, and paint both the bedroom and bathroom. Please give suggestions on what we should do first: carpeting, painting, changing the baseboard, installing the tiles in the bathroom.

kym

Old 03-06-07, 06:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
Welcome to the diy forums kym

I'd do the tile work first and either the painting or carpet last. It doesn't really matter at what stage the painting is done but unless done last you will have paint touch up to do after all the rest is done.

Baseboard is usually installed before carpet but should be installed about 1/2" off of the floor to allow the carpet to be tucked underneath - makes for a nicer looking job. Occasionally 1/2" is too high so it is best to check with the carpet company/installer to see if that height is correct for your carpet.

Old 03-06-07, 08:17 AM
G
Carpet LAST. As it is the most expensive, and most difficult to clean in the event of an "accident" I would wait.

Some (quite a few) posters here are experts in the field, and painting over carpet isn't quite the worryfor them. However, if you are posting here asking, I will surmise your not quite "expert" yet.

The only thing to keep in mind, depending upon the quality of carpet, it may either have a "softbac" or not. If it doesn't, when the installers fit it in, they may scratch up your trim/walls a bit. Generally a bit of touchup will repair any problems, just remember a drop cloth!

Old 03-07-07, 09:29 PM
S
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
I'd do the tile work first and either the painting or carpet last. It doesn't really matter at what stage the painting is done but unless done last you will have paint touch up to do after all the rest is done.
I agree

On pro jobs often the painter is in last, as carpet install tends to damage the trim
Not a big deal when DIYing it, as touch up is not a worry
And protecting the carpet is really no big deal either, you just need some quality drops

Whichever you prefer, there's good and bad for either

Old 03-08-07, 07:02 PM
T
Dear all, thank you so much for your suggestions. Yes, we are indeed "amateurs" and do not plan to to either the tiles or carpet ourselves. However, we will probably do the painting ourselves. That why we worry that doing the painting after the base boards and carpet installed might be more "tricky" and difficult for us. But as Groundbeef and Slickshift said, we will need good drops and have more paint to do touch up later.

Now, what kind of quality drops you recommend for painting? Can I use those old bed sheets along with some plastic drops? Any suggestions you may have on painting walls with carpet floor are greatly appreciated.

kym

Old 03-08-07, 07:23 PM
S
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bed sheets generally don't have the drip stopping power needed, and won't work for an actual spill
Plastic drops are OK for over furniture, but on the floor they can get slippery quickly with a messy painter

The beefy cloth drops from the paint store are the best for floors
If you get a 9' x 12' (or somewhere in there) it'll usually cover enough for a good sized work area for one person

Old 03-09-07, 05:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
If you decide to paint after the carpet is installed be sure to have all the new baseboard primed and 1 coat of enamel before the carpet goes in, that way when you paint the base you can 'cheat' and not have to paint all the way down [next] to the carpet.

I also recomend getting the canvas drop cloths from a paint store. Might be over kill for a 1 time use but they do a LOT better job of protecting what they cover than those cheap home owner type disposable drops.

Old 03-09-07, 04:24 PM
G
Not sure if my message was lost, but I would carpet LAST. With the tile crews in there, that could be a problem.

I wouldn't fret about the drops, unless its just to touch up. For amatures like yourself, Scott (the paper towel people) make an excellent 4' runner. It is paper towel (heavy weight) on one side, and a non-skid plastic on the backside. In the event of a spill, the paper towel absorbs, and the plastic prevents seepage.

On the bonus side they are inexpensive (about 7-10$ USD) for a runner, as opposed to $25 USD or more for a quality fabric runner. The are really nice, and infact I have used them for kids birthday parties for table cloths because they are snow white, and absorb koolaid spills like no other!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: