Painting an Armstrong Ceiling

Old 03-07-07, 01:58 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting an Armstrong Ceiling

I am looking to paint a new Armstrong suspended ceiling in my basement. I would like to have it a metallic copper color and I am having trouble finding paint in Canada that comes in anything bigger than 750 ml. Does anyone know of anything I can use?

Old 03-07-07, 02:21 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
Do mean like in an automotive finish?

Generally ceiling tiles are painted with latex. If you were to spray a metalic paint on the panels they would first need a primer to seal the surface.

Old 03-07-07, 06:07 PM
J
no I was going to paint with a latex. At Canadian Tire they sell a metallic copper latex from Debbie Travis but it is $36.00 for a 750 ml container

Old 03-07-07, 06:38 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
They didn't teach metric back when I went to school does 750 ml = 1 gal?

It is probable that speciality paints/colors only come in smaller quanities although you might ask a sales rep if they can order it in larger containers. If you buy smaller containers you can mix them together in a 5 gal bucket to insure uniformity.

Raw ceiling tiles tend to suck up a lot of paint so it may be a good idea to get a latex primer tinted close to the copper color. That way it shouldn't take as much of the more expensive metalic paint.

Old 03-07-07, 06:46 PM
contact armstrong

I got very good information from: ceilings@armstrong.com... you might too!

Old 03-07-07, 07:36 PM
G
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
They didn't teach metric back when I went to school does 750 ml = 1 gal?

It is probable that speciality paints/colors only come in smaller quanities although you might ask a sales rep if they can order it in larger containers. If you buy smaller containers you can mix them together in a 5 gal bucket to insure uniformity.

Raw ceiling tiles tend to suck up a lot of paint so it may be a good idea to get a latex primer tinted close to the copper color. That way it shouldn't take as much of the more expensive metalic paint.
It might be metric, but think smaller. 750ml is 1/5 of vodka. That size, about 1/2 gallon would be closer.

Check out Sheffield Bronze Co. They make some excellent w/b metallic finishes that would fit the bill for you.

Old 03-07-07, 10:49 PM
J
I tried armstrongs website but I couldnt find anything about the type of paint they used. 750 ml is about 25 US ounces so it isnt a whole lot of paint for the price. I am hoping to find a place in Canada that would have the paint.

Old 03-08-07, 06:06 PM
B
Yes, I was going to say 750 ml is closer to a quart, not half gallon. A liter is just over a quart.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: