Elastic Crack Cover?

Old 03-10-07, 06:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Elastic Crack Cover?

We just had some settlement cracks in the cieling and wall of our living room repaired. The contractor did a beautiful job--now we have to paint.

My husband wants to coat these aras with a product called Good-bye Cracks. It is a spray on 'elastic crack cover'. Does anyone have experience with something like this?

I'm concerned that the primer and paint won't stick, or the 'elastic' will cause the finish to look different in these areas. Also, the can says 'is not sandable' so I'm thinking if the cracks reappear in a few years we will have one heck of a mess to deal with in fixing them again.

Old 03-10-07, 07:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
I'm not familiar with that product but I would think it is more of a stop gap for unrepaired cracks. I have used elastromeric paint [for ext stucco] on cheap rental ceilings to help hide cracks but it isn't something I'd recomend. Just doing one area may leave a texture or sheen difference in the finish paint.

Since the ceiling has been repaired, I'd prime and paint. If your house is thru settling the cracks aren't likely to come back anytime soon.

Old 03-10-07, 08:38 AM
Thanks, marksr--
That's kinda what I was thinking.

House is over 40 YO, so I certainly hope it's done settling! (really, though the cracks were very minor--looks more like they reappeared from not being corrected well when the previous owner cutseied up the place for selling.)

Old 03-10-07, 01:15 PM
S
I always try and keep a can of Good-Bye Cracks in my work van
It is a great product...for certain applications

But
Your concerns are justified and true
The paints adhere differently, and it's not sand-able
Conceivably the finish could look different if not used and coated correctly
I use it sparingly and when needed, when other fixes don't seem to work, or aren't realistic

It's not really for going over repaired areas to prevent cracks in that respect
I suspect the repair will hold...probably better than the rest of the house

If it re-occurs in the same spot, there may be some other issues
But at that point I might consider it
Not at this point

I'm with marksr
Prime and paint

Old 03-10-07, 01:24 PM
G
Its been a while since I've read the can but I seem to remeber that it is ONLY to be topcoated with latex as well. If you use oil, it messes up the product, and you can have really poor results.

Check the can!

Old 03-17-07, 07:24 AM
And still debate rages--

Hubby used to work for SW--still considers himself a "coating expert". I think I might lose on this one, but I will apprise him of all the advice--thanks everyone!

(Oh, and if it doesn't work or looks really bad Mr. Coatings Expert says he will fix it.)

Old 03-18-07, 06:02 AM
R
""(Oh, and if it doesn't work or looks really bad Mr. Coatings Expert says he will fix it.)""
Hello,
LOL! We're like that aren't we? Thanks for the chuckle.
You forgot to add, that he'll also find a way to blame you for it.

I'll make it unanimous - prime and paint.

Rich <-- who used to work for a paint company and is an "ex-pert" too
(Ex is a has been and spurt is a drip under pressure)

Old 01-23-08, 12:54 PM
G
I love the Good-bye Cracks Product.

Even if it does show up in the future, which it may - I will just spray over it and do a paint touch up. Paint is not affected. Paint covers the product very well and it does not show through the paint. If it is a big crack I suggest spackling it and push the spackle in with your finger and smooth it out. Let it dry and then spray this product over it.

Save some of the paint you used to paint the walls and you'll be good to go. Nothing can totally stop a home from developing stress cracks. I love the Rubermaid paint touch containers as well. I keep one of these in a handy spot already filled with teh paint color of the rooms I have and touch up is a breeze!

Old 11-11-10, 01:26 PM
R
goodbye cracks expert

most cracks are caused by daily or seasonal movement. settling cracks are usually tapered. the best time of year to fix cracks is summer. if you can push on both sides of crack and get one surface to move move than a 1/16" below the other, then you need to do some demo and gluing... any mudding will just fall out again. first repair crack by using some very wet mud and forcing into crack...if daily movement is your culprit then even this will crack again before you can spray it. If this is the case, spay large amounts of crack spray into the crack and let thoroughly dry, then mud over that again, and this time the mud won't fall out. sand that then spray the goodbye cracks...3 coats minimum...more is better for large movement, and we'll fix the ugliness later. let this dry for 3 days, then coat the area with your finish latex or latex primer, 2-3 coats, heaviest over the crack spray...this product makes the paint dry very slowly, so after 3 more days you can sand the area (change clogged sandpaper often) and finish properly. Over time with large movement it will wrinkle, but not crack again, and small cracks will be undetectable. this product is also the only thing I would seal drywall window returns with that have condensating windows.

Old 12-04-13, 08:47 AM
A
Question RE Goof-Off Good-Bye Cracks

I have a tub surround where the tub and back splash have become separated. I was wondering if I could use the Goof-Off "Good-Bye Cracks" spray on this. A plumber friend wondered if the spray might eat away at the fiberglass. Does anyone know for sure or have any suggestion as to what I might be able to use to fix this as I have tried caulking it several times but the caulk splits and separates whenever we step into the tub.

Old 12-04-13, 10:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
Welcome to the forums amudd!

What type of caulking have you been trying? If the tub settles when you get in it, try filling it with water and then do the caulking.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: