Need help with major Latex Paint botch up

Old 03-15-07, 11:44 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need help with major Latex Paint botch up

I painted a small bathroom in my home. I've painted a few rooms before, I'm by no means an expert, but never had such bad results before, I'm not sure what I did so wrong this time.

The room was originally a grey "granite" finish. I painted over it with a semi-gloss enamel latex paint. I did two coats. There was a day to dry between coats.

First Problem: When I pulled off the blue painters tape, it pulled off the paint with it. Some of the paint it seemed to pull off down to the dry wall.

2nd Problem: I obviously put it on too thick on the ceiling, and there is a obvious area where the paint looks like it pulled in a line to drip and dried that way.

3rd problem: The finish is, well, crappy. It's hard to describe... a friend said that it looks like I used a cheap roller and some of the roller fibers came off and stuck in the paint.

So what do I do????

My thought was to sand it down. I was told by one person that semi-gloss latex is nearly impossible to sand down and maybe I sould put another granite type finish over it.

My hubby thought to try to remove it by steaming it??? (He's not a painter either)

Is there something I could put on it to thin it down to take off what looks like fibers from the roller?

Any suggestions, short of tearing down the walls, would be greatly appreciated!

Thank-you so much

Lisa

Old 03-15-07, 02:00 PM
S
You don't mention primer anywhere in your post.I think this is a big part of your story.

If "granite" is just a color than I'd sand the so called "drips" and smooth them out and remove by scraping or sanding any loose or peeling paint,clean the walls well and apply one or two coats of good quality oil based primer.

If "granite" is a textured paint then you may need to sand this material down and I'd certainly consult a paint store for the best course of action with that type of finish in regards to prep before applying the paint they sell.Do not buy cheaper lines of paint regardless of brand and do not assume a national brand name automatically means the product is better quality.All brands have upper and lower end lines within them.

"Too think on the ceiling" and not on the walls may indicate the paint had settled and may need stirring regularly to prevent this.And that it may not have been properly shaken when you bought it or has been sitting.

Do not buy cheap supplies and tools for a paint project or you will have some of the issues you describe.Good brushes etc give a good finish.

You can't steam off paint and you can't thin applyed paint or remove dried in fibers.

Old 03-15-07, 04:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Roller "fuzz" needs to be sanded off, occasionally it will just rub off with a cloth. Cheap roller covers are bad to shed as they are used. A quality cover is easier to use [holds the paint better] and does a better job without shedding.

Usually you are better off not using tape, when you must use tape it should either be removed while the paint is still wet or take a razor and cut the 'paint bond' between the tape and wall.

Without seeing it kind of sounds like everyting needs another coat of paint applied correctly. Of course all repairs must be made first and primed.

Quality tools [brush and roller] and quality paint almost always makes a job look better.

Old 03-16-07, 07:46 AM
G
Use 180 grit sandpaper (preferably a sanding block like 3M Sandblaster) to knock down the loose hairs. Then recoat with a quailty roller, that should help out.

Another trick that I recommend, even with a high quality roller, is after taking out of the plastic sleeve, I roll it up with some masking tape-sticky side to the roller cover. Make it tight, and cover the whole roller. Then, "unroll" the tape off the cover. It will remove 98% of the loose hair. Wont hurt the cover, just take off the loose stuff.

As far as the run on the ceiling, good luck. Latex sands like rubber. Especially the thick runs. Most likely it will simply heat up from the sandpaper, and begin to 'pill'. If you can sand it enough, you may need to use a bit of spackle to make it all smooth.

Then repaint that area as well.

Old 03-17-07, 09:49 AM
L
Thank-you very much for the quick and helpful replies. I will take all of them and try to fix my mess. Wish me luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: