Peeling exterior paint

Old 03-16-07, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Peeling exterior paint

The exterior trim paint on the porch, around the garage door and second floor window trim is all peeling. The paint began to peel late last year and now it's a disaster! The house is only 3 years old, and I guess the builder didn't use the "best" of paint for the exterior!

At the base of the second floor window trim, where it was cut to fit, there is a brown stain showing through the paint. The same stain is on one of the trim boards around the garage door at the bottom where it is just above the ground. What could this be from and would just priming, with a quality primer, and a latex exterior paint take care of this? If the ends of the boards were not primed after they were cut could they be absorbing water? I can't remove these trim pieces and prime the ends without possibly damaging the siding.

To do this job correctly I'm planning to scrape and wire brush all the peeling surfaces, prime with a good quality exterior primer then a coat of good quality exterior latex. Is this the correct way to do this? I don't plan on doing this again for a "few years," when the kids get older and learn how to paint!

Old 03-16-07, 04:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Your plan of attack sounds good. You may also want to caulk any seams between the primer coat and finish.

The stains may be from an inferior primer. What type of wood was used?
It is possible that the corner boards have obsorbed some moisture where they near the ground. Sometimes you can figure out a way to slop some paint on the bottom edge by protecting the surrounding surfaces - if you can't, it is what it is. An oil primer should seal the stains.

Old 03-16-07, 09:51 PM
N
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Your plan of attack sounds good. You may also want to caulk any seams between the primer coat and finish.

The stains may be from an inferior primer. What type of wood was used?
It is possible that the corner boards have obsorbed some moisture where they near the ground. Sometimes you can figure out a way to slop some paint on the bottom edge by protecting the surrounding surfaces - if you can't, it is what it is. An oil primer should seal the stains.
Dead on as usually, I just wanted to emphasize using an oil primer, I feel you are wasting your time with a latex.

Old 03-17-07, 06:57 AM
Originally Posted by noleguy33 View Post
Dead on as usually, I just wanted to emphasize using an oil primer, I feel you are wasting your time with a latex.
If I use an oil based primer can I use a latex paint over it? I'm pretty sure the paint that's on there now is a (cheap) latex. Can I use the oil based primer over the latex?

Old 03-17-07, 07:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Oil primer is usually the preffered type of primer for raw wood and yes it can be top coated with latex. Usually it isn't a great idea to top coat latex with oil base but you will need to seal all the stains with oil base primer to keep them from coming back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: