Streaky ceiling on 2nd coat

Old 03-19-07, 11:54 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Streaky ceiling on 2nd coat

Summary:
I've repainted a bedroom; and after non-meticulous 2nd coat on the ceiling, the ceiling appears to have streaky roller marks.

Disclaimer:
I am an painting novice, be gentle.

Details:
I repainted a drywall room that was orig done w/ sprayed on builders paint in an antique white. I patched and sanded all imperfections (mostly thumb tack holes), sanded/washed, primed w/ a latex primer, finished w/ latex Kilz "one coat coverage" flat white interior paint.

Painting steps:
cut in, rolled ceiling, then walls

Problem:
After completing the walls, I noticed the paint was a bit thin in one area of ceiling, so I chose to put a 2nd layer on the whole ceiling to ensure evenness. About a 3 hr gap elapsed betw 1st and 2nd coats.

It's worth noting before applying the 2nd coat, ceiling was otherwise streak free (besides the thin area).

I applied 2nd ceiling coat perhaps not as carefully as I should have, w/out perfectly ensuring even coverage and meticulously smoothing out edges. I suppose I (stupidly) thought that since I had done an even 1st coat, I didn't need to do a "perfect" 2nd coat, and it would dry just fine. I was obviously wrong.

After the 2nd coat ceiling coat, i can see a lot of the moves/streaks I made w/ the roller. The walls, however, look just fine.

Solution:
What do I do from here to fix the ceiling?

The ceiling doesn't have raised paint edges from the edge of the roller - rather, it looks like differences in sheen/roller marks - tough to describe.

Should I do a 3rd coat ceiling, ensuring smooth coverage? I used a 3/8inch roller - should I try a 1/2" roller to do a 3rd coat? Should I lightly sand the ceiling before doing this coat, or not necessary? I'd prefer not to sand as I really don't want to kick dust up on the walls again - but if it's necessary so be it. If I should sand, should I "scuff" sand with a pole (I saw this in other threads)? If a 3rd coat is needed, any tips of doing this coat, guidelines, etc? Should I prime over the paint 1st, then do a 3rd coat?

Thanks for any tips. This is my first attempt at repainting and I'm hoping I didn't screw everything up.

Last edited by chadp123; 03-20-07 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-19-07, 04:01 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the diy forums!

How long has it been since you applied the 2nd coat? I have seen roller marks dry out and disappear before - maybe you will get lucky.

I'm not familiar with Kilz finish paint [just their primers] I would use a 1/2" nap on a ceiling rather than 3/8" It is alo important to use a quality cover. A good roller cover will hold and dispense paint better than the cheapies.

Usually I'd recomend switching to a better brand of paint but I assume everything was painted with the kilz white. As long as there are no ridges that you can feel, another coat of paint applied correctly should solve the problem. When painting with a roller you don't want to 'squeeze' every drop of paint out of the roller. Keep the roller wet and a wet edge on the ceiling and it should come out fine.

Old 03-19-07, 06:34 PM
C
Thanks for the response marksr!

It's been a day and a half since painting. How long does it take for paint to completely dry? I'll check the room again tomorrow to see if things cleared up a bit.

As for the Kilz paint, I purchased it based on its positive ratings from a Consumer Reports review of interior paints. A portion of the testing results are available on the free area of their website.

To answer your question, there are no tactile ridges on the ceiling.

If it looks like I need a 3rd coat, do you think I should lightly "scuff" sand the ceiling before I proceed to ensure the final coat will adhere well? Or is that unneccessary? Before beginning, I'll definitely take your advice and pick up a good quality 1/2 inch roller cover.

Lastly, doomsday scenario....if after the 3rd coat the ceiling still looks streaky...what's the next step? Should I wait until it completely dries, sand, prime, paint again?

Thanks again.

Last edited by chadp123; 03-20-07 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-20-07, 06:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If the streaks haven't dried out by now, they probably won't.

Sanding shouldn't be necessary but it never hurts. If after another coat it still looks bad I'd suspect either the paint or the painter ............ sorry While I've not seen the ceiling, it is unlikely that it would need a coat of primer.

The main thing when rolling on paint is to apply a fluid/wet coat evenly. Let the roller do most of the work, you shouldn't need to press down on the roller. You may need to dip the roller in the paint more often than you have been.

btw - Consumer Reports for whatever reason misses the boat when it come to paint. Usually their top picks are a pro painters nightmare

Old 03-20-07, 09:22 AM
C
thanks again. i'll post a follow up this weekend with the results of the 3rd coat.

Old 03-21-07, 08:51 AM
H
it really sounds like you just put on the second ceiling coat too soon. while the paint was "tacky" you went over it and thus caused the problem. the sheen of the paint is the indication here - i have done it before while trying to touch up areas. good luck!!

Old 03-21-07, 09:31 AM
C
That could certainly be. It was only about 2 -3 hrs between the coats.

When you put on another coat, did it help fix the problem?

Thanks for responding btw.

Old 03-21-07, 09:40 AM
H
yep a second coat in my case solved the prob. i was using satin paint on a wall.

Old 03-21-07, 07:30 PM
S
Another coat might solve the problem
However, I'd suggest ditching the Kilz paint
It's not very forgiving, despite what some lab monkeys technical testing says
Another coat might, or might not do it

Another coat of Ben Moore's Muresco ceiling paint applied with decent brushes and a quality 1/2" nap 50/50 Wool/Poly (or at least a Purdy White Dove) roller sleeve applied smoothly and evenly (remember to apply, or lay, the paint, not squoosh it out of the roller), WILL work

Old 03-22-07, 08:05 AM
C
thanks for the tips slickshift. will def use the advice on the rollers types, and technique. after i put on the 3rd coat this weekend i'll post a follow up as to how things turned out.

Old 03-30-07, 09:41 AM
C
so, i put on a 3rd coat...it came out better. i thought w/ a 4th coat it would come out great. but, after the 4th coat, it looks worse than it did after the 3rd coat.

basically there are sheen diffs. i can see roller marks. i was careful and sure to roll a thick layer on and spread it out evenly, but i just can't get it right.

the room is 11 by 21. i go across the 11 foot width in 4 foot sections. at the end of the 4 foot sections - in the areas where i begin the new 4 foot sections - is where i mostly see the sheen diff/roller marks.

they are not raised ridges. just visible roller marks....it almost looks like sheen diffs even though it's flat paint.

not sure what to do at this point.

i may buy one of those pole sanders to scuff sand the ceiling and then paint over that. or is scuff sanding a bad idea on flat latex paint? should i scuff sand, prime, then paint again? or is laying down primer again not necessary?

i have 1 layer of primer and 4 layers of paint on there already. is this bad?

is ceiling paint easier to apply a streak free finish? or does it offer no advantages?

also i used white of the kilz brand to do the whole room. if i switch to white of a diff brand...won't there be a noticeable color diff between the ceiling and the walls? i saw the kilz white ceiling paint next to the regular interior paint. so if ceiling paint is better i can get that w/out worrying about a color diff.

Old 03-30-07, 09:55 AM
S
How long has the 4th coat dried?

Old 03-30-07, 10:18 AM
C
since sunday it's dried.

i've been reading some online info w/ people who've experienced similar problems.

one person suggested painting the room in the opposite direction (lengthwise first).

i also read a suggestion of adding Floetrol so the paint doesn't dry so quickly. this may make sense because it's hard for me to see what i have and haven't done with the paint drying so quickly.

another suggestion was to use an 18inch roller so there are less roll strokes needed, hence a reduced possibility of roll marks.

no matter what i do, should i scuff sand the room before i go any further? or, not necessary?

should i try a diff brand of paint? maybe the kilz stuff is the problem. but, i used it on the walls and they are fine. if i switch brand, i'm just afraid if the white of one brand doesn't match the white of kilz. then my ceiling vs my walls will be different hues.

Last edited by chadp123; 03-30-07 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-30-07, 03:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Unless you are just terrible at rolling [and you've had plenty of practice] I'd suspect the paint. I've used 18" rollers on commercial jobs but never had need of them on residential. I would find it hard to believe you would benifit much from one.

Different brands of paint do have different shades of pure white. It may be possible to have SWP or B Moore tint their white to match the kilz white.
Cross rolling multiple coats helps with coverage but shouldn't be an issue on your ceiling.

Old 03-30-07, 04:26 PM
S
Floetrol and an 18" might help, but if it's as bad as it sounds from here, I don't think so...not enough anyway

I'd suggest going with a quality ceiling paint
Have it tinted it if it must be the same color as the walls

Old 03-30-07, 11:11 PM
C
ok so the issue is a bit different than i thought.

i stepped up onto a stool to check out the ceiling and besides being very visible it's also, to my surprise, very tactile. basically, the ceiling has the look/feel of the exterior of an orange peel. some areas where the roller marks are especially visible are very easy to see and feel up close. these areas in particular have deeper "pores".

i imagine it got like this after my numerous coats.

so, i've came to the realization that i have to sand this smooth and start again.

i bought a sanding attachment for my pole, but didn't have much luck using it as the latex paint proved to be too much of a challenge for it.

i tried fine grit sand paper in an orbital sander, but it would just gum up and not remove the orange peel look. the only thing that seems to be working is rough grit paper in the orbital. It only lasts for a few minutes before gumming up, and i have to push like crazy against the ceiling - but it seems to be (kind of) working - although at this rate i'll be sanding for ages.

any tips for sanding down this thick latex orange peel monster i've created?

thanks again for everyone's advice, i really appreciate it.

Old 03-31-07, 05:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
A sanding pole takes a little getting used to, if you hold them at the right angle/pressure they work great, held wrong they like to flip over

Latex paint is always hard to sand and when sanded rigorously it will heat up and plug the paper quickly. usually if heavy duty sanding is needed it is better to skim coat over the paint and then sand the easy to sand joint compound.

Is it possible for you to post a pic of the ceiling? I find it hard to believe the paint alone would cause that much need for sanding.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: