Raulph Lauren River Rock Paint Lines

Old 03-23-07, 05:47 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Raulph Lauren River Rock Paint Lines

I am using the Raulph Lauren River Rock paint to paint my family room. I used 2 coats of KILZ on the walls for a primer coat (Probablly overkill).
I have put 3 coats of the RL River Rock paint on with the "special roller" and I still have LINES???
What am I doing wrong??????

Old 03-23-07, 06:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I've only used a little bit of the ralph lauren paints and not your particular one but IMO they aren't quality coatings. I also found them difficult to apply correctly.

It sounds like you might be trying to go too far on a roller full of paint, you also might be pressing down to hard on the roller. On your next coat use less pressure on the roller - you just want to use a light touch - let the roller and paint do the work and you just guide the roller.

Old 03-23-07, 11:39 AM
B
just an FYI, the "river rock" type of products have little durability to them. When you are done, you may want to put a dull acrylic urethane over the wall. This will allow to you to wipe, wash or even bump the wall.

Old 03-23-07, 02:08 PM
B
I've never used that brand. What color are you using - give us the color, not the name of the color, eg) off-white, blue, dark green, etc...

Old 03-23-07, 05:22 PM
S
Originally Posted by first81vette
I am using the Raulph Lauren River Rock paint...
...What am I doing wrong??????

Sort of answered your own question there, just switch those two statements around

Other than that, try to apply the paint, lay it down, not squish it out of the roller
Try a lighter touch

Old 03-26-07, 10:45 AM
F
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
I've never used that brand. What color are you using - give us the color, not the name of the color, eg) off-white, blue, dark green, etc...
I am using a dark color. Army Green - for lack of a better term.

Old 03-26-07, 05:07 PM
B
Green is one of those colors that is hard for a diyer to make look good. Its even harder using big box paints.

Like Mark said, keep the roller loaded with paint and don't try to roll it out so much. Keep a wet edge. Forget the W rolling pattern. Roll up and down. Remember, a roller of paint is only good for one roll up and down.

Old 04-02-07, 10:57 AM
T
Angry RL river rock paint

Originally Posted by first81vette View Post
I am using the Raulph Lauren River Rock paint to paint my family room. I used 2 coats of KILZ on the walls for a primer coat (Probablly overkill).
I have put 3 coats of the RL River Rock paint on with the "special roller" and I still have LINES???
What am I doing wrong??????
I am having the same problems, and we also used 2 coats of primer! We are doing our whole basement in this paint and we are now on the 5th coat!! I am so frustrated! We have spent almost $600 on paint alone (16 gallons)!! It is not like you can stop putting extra coats on because you have to keep applying coats until it is "line free." I just got off the phone with Ralph Lauren paint dept about this and they have forwarded my issue to their "painting professional." I will let you know if he tells me anything different than what their website does! This will be the last time I purchase RL paint!!! I could have had a professional come in and paint for what we have already spent! Very disappointing!!

Old 04-02-07, 12:30 PM
F
Originally Posted by tangelo53 View Post
I am having the same problems, and we also used 2 coats of primer! We are doing our whole basement in this paint and we are now on the 5th coat!! I am so frustrated! We have spent almost $600 on paint alone (16 gallons)!! It is not like you can stop putting extra coats on because you have to keep applying coats until it is "line free." I just got off the phone with Ralph Lauren paint dept about this and they have forwarded my issue to their "painting professional." I will let you know if he tells me anything different than what their website does! This will be the last time I purchase RL paint!!! I could have had a professional come in and paint for what we have already spent! Very disappointing!!
This past weekend I had a friend come over who has used this paint before. It took him eight coats on his walls before he got the technique down. However, with him applying my sixth coat, it looks good.

This is how he did it. Used the "special Ralph Lauren" roller. Applied VERY heavy in two foot areas. It was actually dripping down the wall. Then lightly rolled from ceiling to floor.

It looks great know that it is done; however, I agree with you I will NEVER use this paint again.

Old 04-02-07, 12:33 PM
G
Just a little background on Ralph Lauren paints.

Originally they contracted SW to make their paint lines, and they did a very nice job. The paints were high quality, on par with some of the nicer SW paint lines found in the SW branded stores.

It was a 2 year contract, with options. After year 1 Home Depot started getting greedy, and making threats/intimations that they would shop the line if SW would not agree to sell their flagship 'SuperPaint' line in HD stores.

SW balked, (as well they should), and ICI picked up the line because they were the low bidder on a paint line that SW no longer wanted to have due to actions taken by HD.

Subsequently, HD shoppers were paying Ralph Lauren prices for JC Penny product. The brushes, rollers and other aspects of the RL line were also subbed out for low bids, and the quality followed.

If I remember, I think that ICI even ended up losing the line, and I am not sure who makes it now.

Don't be fooled by the name. RL paints are garbage, as well as the private label tools they sell under the name.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: