condensation on tin

Old 04-05-07, 02:33 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
condensation on tin

I have a storm room in my basement that has tin in the roof. The room is under the front porch and the concrete was poured in a form with the tin on the bottom of the form. What kind of paint or sealant should I use to stop the tin from condensating

Last edited by damcd1953; 04-05-07 at 02:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-05-07, 06:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
Welcome to the forums

That may be a hard question to answer. I assume part of the moisture is coming from above. Is the porch covered? anything on the concrete?

Have you tried running a humidifier in that portion of the basement?

Old 04-05-07, 07:09 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Decreasing humidity and improving air circulation would help minimize condensation problems. Running HVAC system into room may help. If area has dirt floor, covering with plastic vapor retarder would help. Inlet and exit vents would improve air circulation. In general, inlet vents should be placed low, and exit vents placed high. These can be installed so that they can be opened and closed as needed from outside.

If using the area for storage, placing items up off floor and away from walls helps with air circulation. Keep a thermometer and a humidity gauge in the cellar to keep an eye on conditions so you can adjust accordingly. The condensation will create an environment ripe for mold and mildew. The spores are everywhere in the air and when they find a dark, damp, poorly ventilated area, they settle in. Dehumidifiers lower humidity and fans improve air circulation. There is no paint or sealer that will stop condensation. When warm, humid air encounters cooler surface, it condenses.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: