mdf caulking & nail holes

Old 04-07-07, 08:57 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
mdf caulking & nail holes

Have all my baseboard molding up, ready to caulk. Just a needed hand. I am using MDF, easy to work with but the dust is crazy. I used pre-fab corners pieces for the 3/4 bullnose corners. Question is this, should I use caulking to cover the joints or a painters putty? Also the nail holes...same question. Thanks for the advise. Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-07, 10:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Hey Mike

You should use both caulking and putty. Use the putty for all the nail holes and caulking for all the joints including where the base meets the wall.

Old 04-08-07, 07:02 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mike, be sure to use acrylic latex caulk plus silicone on that MDF, very important. That MDF will shrink up in short time when it gets dried out. You will want the added silicone for that extra flexability, to keep that gap closed. DAP Alex Plus is a great brand and easy to find.

TIP for applying caulk. Get a bucket of water and a cotton rag. Make your cut on the tip small as this hole will wear larger as you go. Re cut or re-shape the hole as needed. Use your finger to run on pass over the gap pressing the caulk into the gap then re-caulk immediately as need to close the gap. The idea is to press caulk into the gap to help seal it up and provide a better hold for the gap. Some guy posted an excellent video on you tube for caulking, cutting the tip and filling nail holes.