Can I still use left over paint after 7 years?

Old 04-16-07, 07:28 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Can I still use left over paint after 7 years?

I need to touch up a small area (2 ft by 2 ft). I know the left over paint will not match exactly. Neither will new paint.

Does anyone know if a 7-year-old white paint will change color a lot (like turning to yellow)? The left over was off white flat by Benjamin Moore.

Thanks.

Old 04-16-07, 09:34 PM
N
Well, the good news is that you have the best chance to make it work. I would take the paint in to the paint store and have them shake it. Assuming it's latex(BenMoore has one flat oil, but I highly doubt you used that) it should touch up reasonably well. And normally you would have to worry about a sheen difference, but flat generally doesn't have any sheen. Some of the higher end BenMoore paints are what they call a washable flat, and they do have an ever so slight sheen, but with a bit of feathering out.. I feel like you would be fine. And if worse comes to worse, paint the whole wall, or corner to corner etc. Good luck.

Old 04-17-07, 06:04 AM
G
And remeber, if it smells rotter....IT IS. Dont use it if its moldy, or has a bad odor. Latex paint can 'spoil'.

I for 1 would be pretty leery of trying to use paint that old.

Old 04-17-07, 06:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
it depends

If conditions are right paint can be stored for a long time with no harm. A full gallon will store better than a piece of a gallon. Assuming this is a partial gallon I'd open it up and stir it to see what it looks like. Paint that has been subjected to freezing temps will be thick like joint compound [no good throw it out] It may have a 'skin' dried over the top but the paint under may still be good. After you've stirred the paint and found it still good - strain it!

Old 04-20-07, 12:46 PM
K
I opened the can and the cover area has a lot of rust. More of the rust dropped in the can. Can I still use it? The color hasn't changed much.

Thanks.

Old 04-20-07, 02:40 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
If the paint itself is stirable and still 'feels' like paint it should be ok to use. Rust dropping into the paint can affect the color a little.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: