2 Painting issues

Old 04-26-07, 01:48 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Arrow 2 Painting issues

1, We're living in an ongoing renovation. I have finished the drywall in a couple of areas that we don't want to paint yet because of ongoing construction traffic. But, we would like the feeling of a more normal home so I wanted to go ahead and prime the areas, but they won't get finished paint for 6 months. Is there such thing as the primer going bad if there's no topcoat? If so, how long can I go before topcoat?

2. Ultimately when we do finish paint our hall and den, there is one wall that is continuous between the two rooms without even a corner or molding to divide them. They will be two different colors so how can we attractively and neatly separate the two colors?

Thanks guys!

Old 04-26-07, 02:35 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
1 No time limit. However, it may need to be at least touched up or reapplied because of the damage you are anticipating.

2 Many options. The simplest is just a vertical line - achieved through careful application with good quality brushes, not tape.

Old 04-26-07, 02:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 724 Upvotes on 634 Posts
#1 - I agree with Mitch

#2 - this type of wall looks best one color from end to end. maybe pick an accent color that will compliment both rooms. If it must be 2 colors can't you design some type of break in the continous wall?

Old 04-26-07, 03:16 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
You have apparently already picked the colors for these two rooms?

Old 04-26-07, 07:01 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
The only time limit on primer would be

1) Exterior. Primer is NOT designed to weather the elements.

2) Kitchen: Airbone grease, and cooking smoke can foul the primer for recoat causing fish eyes, blistering, and peeling. Recoat within 24 hours to avoid any problems.

3) Bathrooms. Before mildew can become established in the coating, you must recoat the primer with topcoat. Again, I would wait no more than 24 hours after primer application to paint with finish. Once you get mildew, you will NEVER get it out of the coating.

Old 04-29-07, 08:33 AM
S
Arrow

Thank guys! Sorry for the delay in responding...

Yes, MY WIFE has picked the colors of the continuous wall already. I've tried to come up with a break but it's essentially a hallway aligned to one corner of the den. There is a header (no molding) but that just T's into this wall. The other side of the header (opening) is a corner so no problem there. This side though, is physically one unbroken surface below the header...

See rudimentary drawing below:

.....................|
_______ .........|
...........|.........|
...........|.........|
...........|.........|
...........|.........| < HALL

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: