Painting Over Knotty Pine Paneling

Old 04-27-07, 06:51 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting Over Knotty Pine Paneling

I have a 50 year old seasonal bungelow in upstate New York, unoccupied and unheated during the winter, with shellac finished knotty pine walls. About 5 years ago the walls were painted with a latex paint but the knotty pine was never sanded or properly prepped (except for some Bin over the knots). Now the paint is peeling off of the flat surfaces of the boards. We are scraping off the loose paint and sanding as much of the old paint off as we can. What is the best kind of primer/sealer/paint to use? Is it better to use an oil or latex based product? Are any of the Zinsser Brand (who make Bin) products appropriate? Someone suggested using alcohol based Bin, then an oil-based primer, then an oil-based paint. Can anyone help me?

Old 04-27-07, 07:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
Only one coat of solvent based primer is needed. A primer doesn't need to completely hide the substrate to be effective, it just needs to coat all of it.

After all your prep is done, coat the wood with either pigmented shellac [like BIN] or a good oil base interior primer. Once dry sand lightly, dust and apply 2 coats of paint - your preference. I recomend using an enamel [latex, oil base or waterborne] because it will wear better and IMO look better than a flat latex.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: