Painting Trim and boogered walls

Old 04-27-07, 03:29 PM
Painting Trim and boogered walls

Hi all....

Two minor questions...opinions wanted:

1) I would like to repaint all of the trim in our house. The previous owners painted it a creamy white color. I think we'd like to go white again, but a little more white instead of buttery. The paint doesn't seem thick on there now, but I'm concerned that painting it will make it VERY thick on the trim. Is it going to be necessary for me to sand every little bit of trim and then paint?

2) We are painting a RED room that was also done by our homes previous owners. They did an absolutely horrible job painting and made it a deep "blood red" and it looks patchy and coagulated (like clotting blood). I think they did this because they had removed wall paper and damaged the walls in the process. We were planning on painting this a light green/olive/blue and were wondering how we could repair the walls without skim coating the entire room. Is there something we could do besides texturing the entire wall like apartment complexes do? Obviously we were going to prime it to help cover the red, but my concern is all of the divets/marks in the sheetrock.

Thanks!
gulickgurl

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-07, 06:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
#1 - it takes a LOT of paint to build up thickness that would obscure the details in the woodwork - you should be ok

#2 - you will need to sand the wall, it may need skim coating either all or in part. Make all your repairs, prime and then inspect to see if will be ok to go further. If not work on making the repairs disappear. Skim coating isn't all that difficult.

Old 04-29-07, 01:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
painting

Hi! I would just like to tell you about my experience with damaged sheetrock walls. They were so damaged (peeled and cracked etc.) after my wife decided to tear off the old wallpaper that I thought that they would never look smooth again. But I knew of an old friend that he and his wife used to drywall and paint so I gave him a call. So after they got finished spreading the wide layer of putty and then sanding and painting it, it actually looked better than before. Amazing what putty and sanding will do! I have spent a lot of time (and paint) trying to fill in some rough spots with very few good results. Good Luck! Hope yours turn out as well as mine did!

Old 04-29-07, 04:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
" So after they got finished spreading the wide layer of putty and then sanding "

The "putty" reffered to is actually joint compound, not painter's putty that is used to fill nail holes

Old 04-29-07, 01:42 PM
So you're talking about drywall paste right? Like what you would use when you put up sheetrock and then do the joints? That's what we were thinking we would do...just double checking that is what you're saying.

Thanks!

Old 04-30-07, 05:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes the correct term is joint compound. The ready mix type in 5 gal buckets [sometimes in 1 gal] is the easiest for most diyers to use.

Old 09-05-07, 06:31 PM
Well this is a little late, but we ended up doing the skim coat option and it looks fantastic! I actually did a very thin layer across all of the walls in the bedroom, then used 220 grit sandpaper and sanded it by hand very lightly and felt with my left hand to feel for imperfections. It took a little while but it looks so much better than it did!

Anyway, thanks all! I have before and after pictures for anyone who needs to see what it looks like.

Old 09-05-07, 07:12 PM
Good for you, gulickgurl! Isn't it amazing what you can do with that joint compound?! Thanks to many folks here, I redid all the corners of my house that had been damaged and they look great.

Next, I am going to "fix" my bathroom walls where I stripped the wallpaper off. Glad to hear that your experience was good and not too hard. I am hesitant about doing whole walls in the bathroom so when I read posts like yours, it is motivating!