Prepping and painting a whole kitchen

Old 05-01-07, 10:57 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post Prepping and painting a whole kitchen

Okay this is what I have been told; the kitchen that my husband and I will be painting has an oil-based paint already on the walls cabinets and everything else. It is not lead based because it was painted sometime in the late 80's early 90's. I also know that there are holes from hooks that were screwed in.
I was wondering before we got down and dirty if we should attempt to strip the paint, and if so what kind of stripper to use?
Then after we spackle sand and so forth, what kind of primer and paint should we use? I would appreciate as much help as I can get

Old 05-01-07, 02:43 PM
S
Basically unless the oil paint is peeling or otherwise problematic such as uneven etc you don't need to remove it.You just need to clean it well removing any kitchen grease etc,scuff sand it to help with adhesion and prime it with a good quality oil based primer then you can top coat with a quality latex enamel.Patching would be done before applying primer and all residue from sanding should be cleaned up well.Any quality paint line will do for your project but base your choices mostly on price as all brand names have multiple qualities and levels and all paint lines include duds as well as excellent products.Go to a real hardware store or paint store where there is qualified help to assist you with your needs and instruction.Avoid big box stores as they do not offer good assistance and often carry and/or push inferior products or products formulated to meet low price points.

Old 05-01-07, 03:06 PM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
yup
Clean, scuff sand, dust, oil prime, paint with a quality latex

Quality tools and product will make an amazing difference in the quality/time/frustration parts of your project

You really can't go wrong using the premium lines from Ben Moore, Sherwin Williams, or Pittsburgh (though be careful, they all make cheapo "contractor/ commercial lines" too)
They all have good primers for your application, and Zinsser makes great ones too, if the paint store folks recommend one of those to go with your paint

Old 05-02-07, 09:11 AM
D
It is peeling

It's peeling around like the trim of the windows, because the trim of the windows were painted as well and well quite frankly it wasn't a very good paint job. So if anyone can help me out on the stripping issue I'd appreciate it!

Old 05-02-07, 09:37 AM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You reeeeaaaally don't want to be "stripping" anything inside
Or for that matter, even outside
It's messy, smelly (in brain damage VOC sort of way), and leaves you with a toxic mess you have to wait until HazMat day at the transfer station to get rid of

We'd scrape of the loose, pealing stuff
Feather sand the edges to smooth it out
(Fill with wood filler or joint compound if needed)
Prime
Paint

If for some reason the trim was beyond repair, it usually would be replaced
If for some reason the trim was worth stripping (saving...such as trim that would have to be custom made today, or trim with a historical or sentimental value), it would be removed to be "dipped" by a professional stripper

*As the trim has to be removed and installed (the bulk of the cost), and the professional stripping isn't cheap, and the trim still has to be primed and painted, most customers find it pretty close to the same cost or even cheaper to replace the trim, rather than strip it

Stripping the trim while it's in place is almost always simply not an option
It's scrape fill sand prime if it's going to stay in place

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: