Paint thinner disposal

Old 05-01-07, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint thinner disposal

After a big job and lots of clean-up with paint thinner and such, what does one do with all that spent thinner? You can only re-use it so many times, then you have to chuck it. But where? I want to dispose of it correctly. I don't want to put it in with my normal trash. And where I used to do large commercial painting they had a place like "Clean Harbors" or "Safety Clean" or something pick it up. But what does a small contractor do?
Is there some place I can take it? How can I find out who? What does it cost for disposal(about)?

I hope this is the right forum for this question.

Thanx

Jim

Old 05-01-07, 01:13 PM
D
Here's a previous thread that might help you out:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=295728&highlight=dispose+paint+thinner

Old 05-01-07, 02:06 PM
Thanx for that info.

Jim

Old 05-01-07, 02:43 PM
S
"But what does a small contractor do?"

Fill up a 55gal. drum and have one of those places take it away
(over $500 last time I checked)
Or take it to Haz-Mat day at the transfer station

Old 05-01-07, 03:35 PM
G
Most county "clean up days" prohibit commercial waste from businesses. I guess you could fib a bit, and just say it is your own waste. But if you have more than about 5 gallon, good luck.

Best bet is to contact Safty Clean, or some other similar outfit. Drums are the preferred size for destruction, but some places have "mini" drums of 25-35 gallons.

Make sure you keep good records, as this is a business expense that can be deducted, as well as covering your *ss in the event of an inspection by EPA or other governement agencies. (It happens. I had a contractor who ticked of a neighbor near him. Neighbor called EPA and reported he was dumping thinner down drain. Contractor was unable to produce waste destruction records, and faced some SERIOUS legal, and monetary problems.)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: