Wood preservative on overhead beams

Old 05-03-07, 11:08 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wood preservative on overhead beams

I am going to be applying preservative/stain to the underside beams of roof eaves. It is all overhead work on rough wood. I had planned to brush it on, or spray it on and back brush it for trim using pieces of cardboard as a spray shield. Since this is basically black insecticide a bit thinner than motor oil, I don't want to have a messy system with leaks, drips or clouds of this stuff even with a respirator.

A brush would do it but would take forever. A spray is attractive to get into the very rough wood surface. There is no way a roller could do it, both for the mess involved and the rough surface. I thought of getting a small backpack chemical sprayer, possibly battery powered to do this, but wonder if an electric airless sprayer would work.

When I imagine the ideal applicator for this, it is a 4" brush on the end of a wand with sprayers next to the bristles. I have not seen such a thing.

What would you do?

Old 05-03-07, 12:25 PM
G
Why? that is the first question that jumps to mind.

Unless your attic gets mositure, this seems like a waste of money. Not to mention lack of ventilation will allow nasty chemicals to float around in your home until absorbed by the walls, drywall, etc.

I just couldn't imagine a time this would be necessary.

If you spray, airless may be your best bet. make sure to wear a properly fitted respirator, or you may not live long enough to enjoy your sealed wood.

Old 05-03-07, 02:00 PM
S
First your material is referred to as "preservative/stain" then "insecticide".Which is it?

I too don't know why you are doing anything to unseen beams unless there is some sort of moisture or insect issue.If they were visible I might understand staining but in an attic......

At any rate insecticide is dealt with very differently than preservative.

Old 05-07-07, 08:56 AM
T
Who said attic? To me, eaves are the roof overhang on the exterior walls of a house. Does it mean other things? On this house the overhang is 3ft to 10ft. The beams are a large and very visible feature of this unique old house, and after 70+ years, are showing their age.

The product is a preservative, insecticide, fungicide and stain all in one. It is specifically for replacing/applying over old creosote with the same brown-black look. It should take less time compared to separate treatments, and it is low odor compared to another product I tested.

All I need now is some good advice on how best to apply it.

Old 05-07-07, 01:41 PM
G
Have no idea. Sounds to me like your going to need to look the man on the moon, less you want to die of either lung cancer, or contact poisioning by chemicals.

Talk to either the dealer your buying it from, or call the MFG directly.

Good luck.

Old 05-07-07, 02:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 721 Upvotes on 632 Posts
Ideally you would airless spray and then back brush [or roll] but not knowing the specifics of your coating - if it is one, it would be difficult at best to advise on application.

What does the label say?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: