Wagner spray painter

Old 05-10-07, 12:06 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wagner spray painter

First, this is my initial post here. I didn't see a way to search the forum, nor did I see a thread on this subject. I apologize if I'm asking a duplicate question.

I have a Wagner Wideshot 5.4. I ruined a kid's picnic table with it right after I got it. I was about ready to return it, but I asked a friend if he had ever used one. He said he had, and had needed to radically thin an exterior paint in order for the sprayer to work well. I consulted my manual, and saw a very enlightening one sentence treatment on the matter, something like "you may need to thin the materials."

I bought a Wagner Viscosity cup. It arrived with no packaging or instructions. I visited Wagner's website in hopes of finding a manual. Their website denies that the viscosity cup exists.

Does anyone know of any resource that actually tells what time various materials should take to flow out of the viscosity cup, correlated with various spray tips, and spray guns?

It seems that Wagner would offer more information on the matter, if thickness of materials is one of, if not the the most, important factors in how well their paint sprayers work.

Thanks for any help. Sorry it was kinda long.

Old 05-11-07, 03:48 AM
B
you need to get a Data sheet or a product information sheet for the paint you are working with. this will tell you what your viscosity should be. uf you bought the paint from a paint store, they should be able to help you, if you bought it from a big box store you may be s.o.l. you can always try the internet.

as for the tip, it looks like all they have is .6, .8 or 1.0 use the 1.0. and use paint mate or flowetrol to thin the material.

better yet, return it and buy a better pump.

Old 05-11-07, 05:48 AM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I have own of those
I can heartily recommend returning it if at all possible

It should be called the Wagner Frustration Spitter

Thinning the materials m i g h t help
But it is a long and arduous process to find the correct viscosity (trial and error)

I only bring out mine once or twice a year for extreme situations
-tying it to a pole to get to unreachable spots...stuff like that
But as a pro painter I run into stuff like that more than the average DIYer, so that's the only reason I keep mine...for now...muhahahahaaaaa

Old 05-11-07, 06:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
A viscosity cup works by thinning the paint and pouring it thru the cup timing how long a specified amount of coating takes to funnel thru. If it flows too fast = too thin, too slow = thin the paint more. I've never used one.

Old 05-11-07, 09:17 AM
M
"Frustration Spitter" lololol that's hilarious.

I actually got a reply from someone at Wagner's, and I'll include it here for our general enlightenment.

"What I would suggest is that you also pick up a bottle of Paint Easy at your local Lowe’s or Home Depot store….then add that to your latex paint, as it will thin the paint, and yet not dilute the color. As far as the viscosity cup goes…yes I can send you further information on how to use it….however the paint conditioner will be the most important “tool” you use. It also delays the dry time and gives you more time to work with the paint. The paint conditioner you will just add to the paint…mix it together, the directions are on the bottle…and you are done….really not as much measuring as the viscosity cup."

"Dip the viscosity cup into the material and remove it. Use a watch or clock to time how long it takes for all the material to drain from the cup. Any material that takes less than 100 seconds to drain from the cup (has a viscosity below 100 seconds) does not need to be thinned. Materials with a viscosity over 100 seconds should be gradually thinned using the appropriate solvent and retested until the proper viscosity is reached. Refer to the material manufacturer’s recommendations to determine the solvent appropriate for the spray material you are using."

I haven't tried this yet, I'll post again after I have.

I remember the camel from Disney's Aladdin "Careful, they spit."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: