kitchen cabinet repainting

Old 05-15-07, 04:06 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
kitchen cabinet repainting

I painted our kitchen cabinets with Sherwin Williams Classic 99 Semi-Gloss Alkyd Enamel paint (slight off-white) 12 years ago. They are still in excellent shape, but, we want to drop the shade to a little more creame color now. Can I just paint over them with new paint or do I need to do any special prep work. I sprayed with an airless sprayer before but would like to use brush and roller this time. What type of brush and roller, nap/thickness, should I use? What brand paint. Stay with S.W.?
Your pointers will be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-07, 06:51 PM
J
cabinets

Roncat,
You can go over your existing oil base paint with the same thing, using your new color. I've been a custom painter for 36 years, and almost all my work is high end, so I would not even think of using a roller on a set of custom cabinets. Just get a nice 3" or 4" inch China bristle brush(Wooster Yachtsman's) are my favorite. They are incredible brushes but they don't take your life savings to buy one. A 3 will be about 8 bucks, and a 4 will be about $10 or $12. It wouldn't hurt to lightly sand the doors,drawer facings, and frames, and then wipe them down with a slightly damp thinner rag, and then use a tack cloth on them. Each extra little step you take will yield a nicer finish. Use some 150, or even some 220 grit paper. Take all your doors off and the hinges. If the hardware is black or painted; lay it on some cardboard and spray it with a gloss spray can in the color of your choice. If the hardware is brass or unfinished; you can soak it in laquer thinner to remove and old paint from them. Lay all the doors on an extention ladder or 2- 2x4's stretched out over saw horses if you have the equipment, and do each side. You can backeach drawer out about 4 inches or so and do the faces. This can be done before or after the frames are done. I usually take everything away from thr cab frames when I do them. My choice of paints is Sherwin Williams. After 36 years of using them all; I prefer SW. I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck.
John Sr.

Old 05-16-07, 05:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Both SWP or BM would be a good choice of paint. If you stick with oil base you shouldn't need any prep other than cleaning/sanding. I'd be leary of soaking the hardware in laquer thinner - I've had the plating/finish come off before

A 3" brush is probably as large a brush as a typical diyer would want to use. You can use a roller and get a good finish - just roll it on and then gently 'tip' it off with your brush. If you have poor brushing skills, often a rolled finish will look better than a botched up brush job. Use a 1/4" nap if you roll without tipping it off.

Old 05-17-07, 09:08 AM
R
Painting cabinets

Your response has definitely helped me. Thank you so much for your time!