Can Floetrol be added to water-based polyurethane?

Old 05-20-07, 07:07 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can Floetrol be added to water-based polyurethane?

Can I add Floetrol to water-based polyurethane (more precisely, Minwax Polycrylic)? If so, in what proportions? Maybe in the same proportions as one would add it to latex paint? And how about XIM latex X-tender? I am unsure because these two products are labeled to be used with ďlatex paintĒ, and I donít know whether they can also be used with water-based poly (i.e without pigment, without latex resin, but with both acrylic and polyurethane resins)

By the way, I will be applying the water-based poly on a painted surface (long story)

Thanks

Old 05-20-07, 12:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I don't use any of those products very often but would think either floetrol or X-tender would be compatable with water based poly. It might possibly tint the poly ever so slightly - don't know for sure.

Water base poly usually flows pretty well so you shouldn't need to use as much as you would for regular paint.

Old 05-20-07, 05:54 PM
G
XIM would be your best bet. Floetrol WILL yellow over time. XIM will NOT. However, neither is rated for Poly. Both as stated in prior post are very thin. Why would you need to thin it?

Old 05-20-07, 08:23 PM
M
marksr, groundbeef,

Thanks for your replies. I think you convinced me that floetrol or xim are not really needed. I am now planning to add a regular coat (or 2) of wb poly to a paint job.

groundbeef: when you say that floetrol will yellow (but xim will not) does that mean that floetrol *added to latex paint* will lead to yellowing in the paint??? Or did you just mean that floetrol in wb poly will yellow. I am asking because I am also planning to paint my house, and I want to paint several walls ultra-white, and I am planning to use a little bit of floetrol for those walls as well, and wouldn't want them to yellow...

Thanks

Carlos

Old 05-21-07, 06:20 AM
G
Flotrol WILL lead to yellowing. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. And it voids your warrenty.

XIM Latex Extender WILL NOT Yellow. And it does't void your warrenty.

Old 05-21-07, 06:34 AM
M
groundbeef,

Thanks again for your helpful reply. Do you happen to know whether XIM latex extender doesn't void the warranty for Benjamin Moore paints? For logistical purposes, BM is easier to get than SW. Thanks again.

Old 05-21-07, 08:35 AM
G
Specifically to BM, No, I am not 100% sure about it. Contact your dealer and ask about it.

Its a bit easier with SW, as all stores are corporate owned, and there is no "gray" area about warrenty and such. SW corporate stands behind latex products that have been mixed with XIM. (As SW had a say in designing it).

For Ben Moore, as each store (as far as I know) are a "dealer" they may have more say in what does/doesn't constitute a breach of warrenty covereage.

Let me know what you find out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: