Paint over Rusty Metal Primer?

Old 05-22-07, 12:17 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint over Rusty Metal Primer?

I have a little metal hatch door (leads to the chimney?) on the outside of my old house that was rusting under the exterior paint. I scraped it off, wire brushed, and cleaned it and painted it with two coats of Rustoleum 'Rusty Metal Primer', which I believe is oil based and it is rust colored. Now I need to paint it the same beige color as the house, but I was wondering if I should cover this dark primer with some white primer first. I have a can of Killz latex leftover from another project.

Old 05-22-07, 12:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
It would be best to go to the paint store and get a quart of oil base paint tinted to your house color and paint the clean out door with it. Not a good idea to use latex on the door.

Old 05-22-07, 12:29 PM
S
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree...that would be the best method

Old 05-22-07, 01:58 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I should have come here first. I already had a can tinted of Olympic Premium 100% Acryllic Exterior Latex Satin. There are some areas of the stucco that needed touch up as well. I guess I'll see how long that holds up since I already bought it, and next time I'll get oil based.

So with the exterior latex, would the white primer be good idea?

Old 05-22-07, 02:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
Oil base paints help to hold back rust, latex doesn't. Once rust comes thru the rusteluom primer it will go thru the latex in short order.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: