Spray Paint for Base Molding?

Old 05-25-07, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Spray Paint for Base Molding?

I am wondering if they have spray paint for baseboards?

After I lay down the laminate this weekend, I'll be putting down molding. I was thinking about taping it off and using a semi-gloss spray paint. It will probably go on smoother and be a little easier than brushing.

Do they have a special spray paint for base boards that will resist wear? Or would it be better to just brush it on?

Advice? Opinions?

Old 05-25-07, 11:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Stick with the brush!!!

First off the paint in a rattle can is very thin and not alot of it. It would take multiple coats just to cover the baseboard. Then there is all the overspray to contend with - and it can travel a long way

Using a brush will be quicker and you can apply a heavier film of paint = last longer.

Old 05-25-07, 12:41 PM
Should I paint the molding before installing it? Then, touch up the joints...

Or, should I wait until it's installed and then paint everything?

Old 05-25-07, 01:08 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I'd prime them, sand and apply 1 coat of enamel, install them, caulk and putty and apply the final coat.

Old 05-26-07, 08:38 AM
D
Definitely cut the pieces to dry-fit first, then paint prior to installing - then touch up - it saves alot of angst when having clean up paint drips, etc....

On already installed moulding - I always use my wallpaper flat edge smoother next to the base moulding, between the floor and the moulding, to catch any drips and paint spots - you can even use a piece of heavier paper... just make sure it sits lower than the bottom edge of the moulding... Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: