Benjamin Moore Regal: Eggshell versus Pearl?

Old 06-03-07, 11:20 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Benjamin Moore Regal: Eggshell versus Pearl?

We are painting our 70-year-old rowhouse. For the walls (except kitchen and bathrooms, already done) we are deciding between Benjamin Moore Regal eggshell (AquaVelvet) or pearl (AquaPearl). The contractor has already partially skim-coated all walls with joint compound, sanded them, and primed them with Kilz 2latex. The walls are now in very good shape; however, given that they are plaster old walls, and there is so much skim-coating can do, they unavoidably show some minor irregularities.

Ideally, we would like to replicate some walls we once saw in a European house, where the artist/painter had used oil-based low-luster paint, applying numerous coats and sanding between each coat, creating a silk-smooth, slightly sheened, almost lacquered wall surface. Beautiful, but hard to replicate with latex products and somewhat faster-paced painting business practices.

We dislike the look of flat wall paint, so were considering BM pearl (which I guess is BM’s name for “satin”). But we are concerned, and have read in the internet, that BM pearl paint is closer to a semi-gloss than to a low-luster satin, more suitable for kitchen/bathrooms than for general wall painting. We are not greatly concerned to hide absolutely all wall imperfections, but we would of course like to minimize them. Is BM pearl indeed too close to semi-gloss for general all-house wall paint? Would it just show too many surface imperfections? If so, would BM eggshell be a reasonable choice, even though we want a silky surface rather than velvety surface? Is BM eggshell easy to clean? To get the smoothest possible finish, we are planning to use floetrol for the water-base primer, and XIM latex x-tender (a better product according to many) for the paint. The colors are super white for most walls and some light pastels for a few walls.

I know it’s finally a matter of personal taste, but perhaps some of you have faced a similar situation. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-07, 01:27 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I like the pearl and that's what I used in my house. However, I'm thinking that the look you want might be best achieved with burnished and tinted venetian plaster.

Old 06-03-07, 04:20 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is a matter of personal taste/preference
All I can say is the shinier sheens do show more imperfections

To allow painting with glossier sheens, and not show imperfections, a "level 5" surface is usually spec'd
This means the entire surface has a thin layer of joint compound on it, sometimes even applied by sprayer

I'm not sure that's an easy DIY project, but just letting you know