Candle Wax on Unfinished Wood

Old 06-08-07, 07:06 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Candle Wax on Unfinished Wood

We just moved into this home and want to paint the unfinished wood flloor on our outdoor screened in porch. We noticed an area where it looks like candle wax had been spilled (most likely a citrinella candle).

What is the best way to remove this wax and get the wood back to a place where it will accept paint (if possible at all).

Thanks,
Joe

Old 06-08-07, 07:24 AM
T
Not so sure you'll get paint to stick. Once wood is contaminated with wax or oil, there are adhesion problems. See this thread which posted the same problem this week: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=307698

Old 06-08-07, 08:49 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Candle wax on floor

The way I have removed candle wax is to cover it with a towel then put a hot iron on that. The iron will melt the wax and the towel will absorb it. You will not get it all,but with some sanding and good primer you have a chance. Good luck. RW

Old 06-08-07, 09:34 AM
E
wax on wax off

depending on how saturated the wood is the iron trick might work i use newspapers for removing wax w iron .... once u get as much wax off the only other thing i know to do is sand the area down. I do not know if there is a primer u can put on it that might stick call your local paint store they may know.... i have th is same problem and the hotter it gets outside the more the wax spreads... but mine is on a gardening talble so i dont mind it so much

Old 06-08-07, 09:52 AM
J
I've got an e-mail into Zinsser right now awaiting an answer. If their product won't be guaranteed to stick, then I'm gonna just cut out the bad wood and replace. I don't want to go to the trouble and time of trying to remove the wax without some guaranteed method/primer. It would be nice if I could just flip the wood, but... it's t&g so it needs to be cut out.

Old 06-08-07, 07:00 PM
S
There's a slight chance the iron and newspaper/towel might work

Other than that...wax is pretty much impossible to remove from porous wood

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: