How remove spray paint from plastic furniture

Old 06-09-07, 10:02 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Someone gave me a plastic toddler bed they had spray painted red. The paint comes off fairly easily when it bumps against things but I want to know if there's some inexpensive way to get all of it off. I don't want to end up with it having some of the paint off, but not enough to make it look decent. Has anyone had experience with this? I'd appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-07, 02:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Welcome to the diy forums

I think your best bet would be to sand it down and repaint it. I'm afraid any stripper or solvent would try to 'melt' the plastic.

Old 06-09-07, 03:31 PM
N

Okay, thanks for the advice.

Old 06-09-07, 11:09 PM
Castrol Super Clean Cleaner/Degreaser (in the purple bottle) is outstanding at removing most types of paint from plastic without harming or staining the plastic, but it works best when the item to be stripped is soaked in it. Merely applying it by hand with a towel may not provide sufficient contact to break up the paint. Inexpensive at about $8 for a gallon.

Another item worth trying is Floquil Polly S Easy Lift-Off available at hobby shops. This is applied with a brush and removes paint fairly fast when it works, however it doesn't always work on some types of paint.

Both items can cause skin damage though; rubber gloves are recommended.

Old 06-10-07, 05:53 AM
S
Remember that this is an item that is used by and designed for small children.Do you really want to take the risks associated with possible loose paint particles (even if it's lead free paint...it isn't something made to be eaten) and/or residues from strong toxic cleaners?

Both suggested remedies carry obvious elements of uncertainty as far as the results are concerned and may even create other issues along the way.Sanding plastic will scratch the surface and probably not remove all the paint.Using caustic cleaners may leave unsafe residue and as stated is difficult to work with under the circumstances.

Also you can't just repaint this item with any paint.Even if you do get it to a point where painting is possible,you must use a paint specifically for plastics or you're back where you started from.

Honestly,if it were me,and considering you paid nothing for this bed,I'd toss it and not take risks with children.Don't give it to a charity etc.You'd just be passing your issues to someone else.

Old 06-10-07, 06:47 PM
N

Thanks for the suggestions.
Nicholas