spraying primer on new drywall

Old 06-10-07, 12:34 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy spraying primer on new drywall

I am spraying Behr new drywall primer on new drywall with an airless sprayer. After thoroughly wiping down walls with damp cloth to remove all dust and spraying with primer, the surface has a sandpapery finish which then requires much time and effort to sand down the wall before painting. I have tried increasing/decreasing the pump pressure, adding water to the primer (small amt.), varying the distance between spray nozzle and walls all with the same sandy surface. I called technical support at Grayco sprayers and they said it was a reaction of the drywall with the primer and it was the fault of the primer. I'm not sure I buy that answer. Anyone have any suggestions. I'm about ready to ditch the sprayer and roll everything but it's a big house and it sure would be easier and quicker to spray.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-07, 02:04 PM
R
it's ok if its a little gritty. Is the primed surface so rough that 2 rolled coats of flat paint won't cover it? Up to 100 grit roughness seems reasonable to me.

Old 06-11-07, 04:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
I almost always spray the primer on new construction drywall. I also always sand the walls with a pole sander prior to the finish coat. Some primers are worse than others for raising the 'grain' Even if you roll the primer on it is still good practice to sand lightly before applying the finish coat.

The best way to spray walls is to back roll what you've sprayed. I seldom do this with primer since it is a lot more work when working solo but does a really good job with a 2 man crew.

Old 06-11-07, 05:13 AM
S
"I called technical support at Grayco sprayers and they said it was a reaction of the drywall with the primer and it was the fault of the primer. I'm not sure I buy that answer "

"Some primers are worse than others for raising the 'grain' "

I wouldn't be surprised if it were this primer
It's not a particularly good one

I have sprayed this stuff before and ran into the same problem
As I often scuff sand in between coats anyway, it was no big deal for me to sand it using a drywallers sanding screen on a pole before continuing

...but I don't use the primer anymore either

I'd recommend staying away from the Behr for the rest of the project
The paint is pretty bad also
Stick with Ben Moore, Sherwin Williams, or Pittsburgh's premium lines (they all make cheap "contractor/commercial" stuff too)
It will go much quicker and you'll have far less headaches....it'll look better when done too