Old paint disposal.

Old 06-20-07, 08:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old paint disposal.

So I've got a few 5 gal buckets of old latex paint to get rid of. It's in a commercial setting and we have no accounts with a disposal company set up and I don't really want to get one set up for as little as I have.

I saw at the big box store these packets of paint hardener that you mix into the paint and it hardens allowing you to throw it out. Each pack says it will harden 1/3 rd gallon of paint. So if I've got say 4 gallons of paint in a 5 gallon bucket can I mix in 12 packets of this stuff and harden the paint ??

How long would it take for 4 gallons to dry out if I just removed the lid and let it sit ??

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-07, 10:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
If the paint is still usuable I'd try and find someone to give it to.

I'm not familiar with the packets of 'paint hardner' Genarally unwanted paint is either painted onto something to be thrown out [probably too much paint for that] or saved for a community disposal day - I don't know if they have limmits on how much they will take.

It would take a long time for a 5 gal bucket to completely dry out with the lid off. Once the paint skims over, the skim acts like a lid to help preserve the rest.

Old 06-20-07, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Mark. I'll probably give the hardener a shot. The community days are not for commercial and there is a limit like it has to be in gallon cans or something of the sort. I may check it out and see what kind of shape it's in and ask around to see if anyone wants it.