How to fix exterior paint used on interior

Old 06-23-07, 04:32 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to fix exterior paint used on interior

Some one recently painted about 80% of a rental home for me. In the beginning of the process they realized that they paint I had purchased was exterior (latex) paint rather than interior paint. I asked if that would be a problem and they said it would not. However, on follow up I have read many things that say that this could be a problem due to wearing properties of exterior paint and the fumes.

So my question is how can this be fixed? Would it be sufficient to just paint over the exterior paint using interior paint? If not, then how do you fix this?

Any and all feedback will be most appreciated...

Old 06-23-07, 04:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. The fumes will disapate if they haven't already done so. It is true that most exterior paints don't dry as 'hard' as their interior counterpart but basically this just means it won't be as washable.

Another coat with interior paint would fix it but since it's a rental [and I'd probably do the same with my own home] I'd leave it as is for now and repaint later when it needs it

Old 06-23-07, 07:58 AM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I agree

I'd consider a primer when re-painting just in case, but I'm not sure I'd rush out to re-paint it right now

I'd leave the windows open for a week if possible though

Old 06-23-07, 08:05 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile

marksr and slickshift,

Thanks to you both for your quick responses and for sharing your knowledge with me.

It occurred to me later this morning to call the number on the paint can. They said an oil-based primer first for a re-paint also, and they explained that the primer would act as a vapor barrier. I will see if I can leave the windows cracked for a bit to help the fumes wear off. I do not live too far from the home, but it is difficult for me to get there frequently and it has rained a bit here recently.

I will probably have the re-paint started by the end of the upcoming week so that I can feel at ease about renting it out soon... Don't want to have a new tenant in there with bad fumes...

Old 06-24-07, 04:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
IMO another coat of paint won't really affect the amount of 'fumes' in the home. Basically the fumes are created as the paint is drying. I don't think that it will continue to give off fumes, the fumes that may or not still be in the home just need to disapate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: