Ooops! Final coat 1/2 S/G & 1/2 Flat...

Old 06-25-07, 06:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Ooops! Final coat 1/2 S/G & 1/2 Flat...

one thing I've learnt, don't spend 2 days painting in full sun, it will addle yer brains...

(pre-script: i've been reading this board for a few hours, and marksr >now I know to go to a 'real' paint store )

Scenario: New, PT railing/balusters, aged 10 weeks first coat Behr flat latex >>>>>

Yesterday realizing we were going to be short some paint, I went to HD and bought another gallon... I 'noted' the brand and colour title just before leaving the house.... and I FORGOT to take 'note' of the sheen.

So, we have probably 40% of our final coat done in flat exterior latex with the remainder in S/G ... also, I started the new gallon(sg) before realizing there was about 10% remaining in the first gallon (flat), so there was a bit of FLAT, then SG, then back to FLAT, and finally finishing off with SG (woah that was a mouthful)... all the cutting was finished in flat, with the rolled stuff being mixed flat and SG,

I wouldn't worry bout it, but it is Ultra Pure White on a deck railing that gets full sun for 98% of the day... so it REALLY stands out.

My #1 question(s), (i know, i know get to the point) ... is should I go over all the flat I can find with SG? or should I go over the WHOLE thing with SG? and should I sand the SG before doing a WHOLE once over? what grit? just quick hand-sanding or orbital??

#2 question: I am going with solid stain for the deck surface, and I opened the can today to do the trim around the privacy lattice, well, is solid stain supposed to be thinker than pancake mix that's been sitting for 10 mins? I've never used a solid stain before, but this stuff was super super thick, it's Behr(i know i know, next project I'll come here and learn what to buy first ) I bought the stain probably 6 weeks ago, it's been sitting in the shed, avg temps 24/14C

PS, thanks to PWG, slickshift, marksr et al for all the great advice I've read on here today... (wish I looked it up before making a newbie painting mistake)

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-07, 05:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Solid stain is usually just a little thinner than paint. Paint/solid stain viscosity varies between brands.

It would probably be best to completely recoat the majority of the railing so it will all be uniform. Flat or semi-gloss it doesn't matter a whole lot although gloss will resist getting dirtier longer it wouldn't hurt to give it all a light/quick sanding before applying the next coat.

Old 06-26-07, 07:35 AM
Cool thanks...

Thanks for getting back to me marksr

I think I'm gonna go back to HD with the stain and check if the viscosity is 'right'...

thanks for the advice on the paint/sanding issue...

BM

Old 06-26-07, 01:03 PM
"Scenario: New, PT railing/balusters, aged 10 weeks first coat Behr flat latex"

shouldn't he have primed first???

Old 06-26-07, 01:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
I missed the lack of reference to having applied primer first

Yes the railing should have been primed first but there isn't much point in doing it now

Old 06-26-07, 02:11 PM
this whole subject of flat versus semigloss is pretty moot, isn't it? since without priming first, it's all going to peel off anyway, right?