Preparing Desk and Tips for Painting please!

Old 07-02-07, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Preparing Desk and Tips for Painting please!

I purchased a desk a few years ago from an antique store. It is made of wood (but please don't ask me to get more specific than that - no clue). Anyway... I painted it when I first purchased it with a yellow paint, purchased at a craft store.
I would now like it to be a cream color. So I have a few questions...
How best to prepare the desk for a new color (sander?)
The best way to add details (like small pink flowers or stripes)
How to finish the project (sealer?)
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-07, 04:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Welcome to the diy forums!

You don't have to sand the yellow off, just sand it well so your next coat of paint can adhere good. I'd recomend using a quality enamel like SWP's proclassic waterborne.

You might be able to find some stencils to add the details. Stripes can be added by using tape to mark it off - don't put a lot of trust in the tape as paint can seep under it

Usually no sealer is needed over enamel but with the addition of art work it would be wise to protect it with a coat or 2 of poly. Oil base poly adheres and wears the best but will yellow/amber the finish. Latex poly pretty much dries clear.

Old 07-03-07, 04:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the current paint is in good condition and not coming off, then you can scuff sand and put another coat on. If the current paint is coming off, then you have to sand and scrape to bare wood, re-prep, and apply your paint. Go to a craft store and get your stencils and the like to apply over the base color. At that point you can put a coat of acrylic urathane on it for protection, this will not amber as it ages.

Last edited by slickshift; 07-03-07 at 04:39 AM. Reason: innapropriate wording: I'm assuming you meant "craft" store