What to use!

Old 07-05-07, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question What to use!

I have a newer home, 3 years old, and the paint is already peeling from the front porch, trim around the windows and the garage door. I've scraped the porch railing and trim first so I can finish them, then move on to the garage and windows.

The porch railing and ballisters are wood but the posts and trim seem to be a "plastic," (?), material made to look like rough sawn wood. The worst peeling was on the wood and not as bad on the "plastic." I've also sanded the wood rail and ballisters but haven't done the trim for fear of removing the "grain" embossed into the pieces.

I'd like to make sure my paint job lasts longer than the 3 years the builders painters did! I'll be priming first then putting on the paint, using a top quality latex paint. My question is what type primer should I be using on each of these surfaces? Would a good quality latex work for both the wood and the "plastic" trim?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-07, 04:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
A lot of builders don't pay much for their painting so the results are often sub par.

I'm familiar with the smooth plastic balisters but I don't remember ever seeing any like you discribe. Usually an oil base primer does the best job but good results can be had using a quality latex primer [like SWP's A-100 latex primer] The primer might stick a little better to the plastic if you add some emulsa bond to the primer [good for wood too]

Finish with a top quality latex house paint. 2 coats are always better than 1

Old 07-06-07, 03:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
if it is plastic, you will need a good primer made for plastics. Unfortunetly plastics change and stuff doesn't always work.

I would try UMA from XIM. you should do a test area first to check for adhesion. Or you can use something like Smooth Surface Primer from P&L.