Good smelling paint

Old 07-06-07, 07:39 AM
Question Good smelling paint

I was a show on HGTV a week or so ago that showed the crew adding a scent packet to the paint. They said that you can get packets of many scents to add to paint that will give off small amounts of smell over the years.

I know that most of the diy shows cut alot of corners and don't always give great advise.

My questions are:

1. Has anyone used these?
2. Do they negatively impact paint quality?
3. Do the scents really last a long time, or is it a waist of money?
4. Are the scents sold at any real paint stores, or just the 'big box' type?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-07, 01:09 PM
1) Used them? I've never even heard of them
2) They can't possibly help
3) Couldn't last a long time...paint cures
If they form cells in the cured paint that release scents...oy...yeah that can't be too good for the paint's cured attributes
4) Must be marketed to DIYers that watch HGTV and shop for paint in BigBox stores
I would have remembered seeing that in the paint store
...then again, I wasn't looking for them either...lol

Old 07-06-07, 01:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, I've never heard of it either and would be skeptical of such an additive.
Way back when I was an apprentice I worked for a guy who had a quirky customer and we added a little perfume to the paint so it wouldn't supposedly bother her I think it was more pychological than anything else

Old 07-07-07, 04:14 AM
I wonder how it works. Paint will allow the passage of molecules, at least most do, so i would guess in theory that you could have something suspended in the film that will cause a smell to occur, but I have a hard time believing this actually works for more then the cure time of the paint. I think as the paint cures, the solvents and the like will carry said smell stuff with them.

I sell an additive for lacquer that does this. As the lacquer cures, the odor is carried by the solvents. when the lacquer is fully cured the additive no longer releases odor.

to be honest, I have watched those DIY shows, and when it comes to paint they really have no idea whatsoever about the different products available and the reasons for using them. I once saw a "professional" put latex paint on leather furniture. Nor do they know application. I saw the carpenter guy from Trading Spaces show someone how to spray with an airless with the tip in backward. Instead of a wide fan, they had a finger.

Watch those shows for ideas or to laugh at them, do not follow their advice.

Old 07-07-07, 04:44 AM
I'd be concerned about the short term and long term effects of how such an additive would react with the paint it's mixed with. Between worrying about adhesion, discoloration, blistering, peeling, etc., I'd just as soon stick with using an air freshener.

Old 07-07-07, 01:51 PM
Like anything else shown on HGTV, I would be skeptical.

1st, if true, what if you grow wary of the "scent" in a month or so? Potpouri smells nice for a while, but then you want to change it and you need to repaint? Why bother, just get a plug in air freshener, and change at will.

2nd. Seems like its more to override any objectionable paint odor when applying. If thats your concern, get a low VOC latex. The odor is virtually undetectable. This may be more important if your partner is pregnant, and paint smells will bother her. Latex paint fumes are NOT harmeful to pregnant women, but can be irritating.