Painting Moulding

Old 07-11-07, 06:30 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Painting Moulding

I want to paint brand new baseboard moulding that is bare wood. Can I just primer it and paint it, or do I need to scuff it or anything? I don't want the paint to chip or peel...

Joe

Old 07-11-07, 09:43 AM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If its clean, dry, wood.

I would use a latex primer and whatever paint you want over top of that.

Old 07-11-07, 01:34 PM
S
I would supplement that with the instruction to use a QUALITY latex primer (i.e. not Kilz2 from Home Depot.)

SirWired

Old 07-11-07, 06:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It is always best to sand prior to priming b ut not imperitive - I usually don't - not enough time You do need to sand the primer lightly when dry. If applying 2 coats of enamel - sand lightly between coats.

I second the use of quality primer and paints. It will make the job easier and look better. The big box stores will sell cheaper coatings but for quality it is best to go to a real paint store.

Old 07-12-07, 08:31 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
to: marksr

marksr, what do you mean by "a good primer, but not Kilz2" ? What primer do you suggest? Like Gripper or Seal Grip?

Old 07-12-07, 10:35 AM
S
If you get your paint from a proper paint store, like a Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore, I would use whatever primer they recommend to go with your paint and your situation.

SW makes ProClassic, and BM makes Waterbourne Impervo, both of which are excellent tough trim enamels. SW will probably have you get SW PrepRite Classic Primer... I don't know what BM would recommend.

Stay away from the big box stores. While they my have some good products sprinkled in among their selection, if you ask Home Depot what to get, you will be coming home with Kilz2, or even worse, Behr.

SirWired

Old 07-12-07, 04:29 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Whichever paint store [not dept] you go to, they will be able to tell you which is the preffered primer for the finish paint you are buying. For new interior woodwork I prefer to use a latex enamel undercoater - unless the type of wood used is subject to bleed, then I'd use an oil base undercoater.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: