painting over painted paneling

Old 07-11-07, 11:32 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
painting over painted paneling

Attempting to repaint an already painted (white) paneled wall in my living room. After TSP-ing the wall down, I made the dumb decision to not prime and simply paint the paneling. After two coats of a Sherwin Williams SuperPaint (flat) that did not achieve a uniform coat (yeah, I know...duh), I went back to SW, grabbed a tinted sealer/primer (ProBlock latex) and applied that to the wall. Still, no uniformity. It looks like the first couple of painted coats in that there was simply a general unevenness and the appearance of roller marks all over the wall, no matter how many times I attempted to touch it up. Then applied another coat of Super Paint to a section of the wall and, well, same thing. Can someone please hip me what it is I'm doing wrong (as I'm sure it must be me!). Thanx a bunch fior the help.

Last edited by khawk; 07-11-07 at 11:36 AM. Reason: left out a detail - flat finish
Old 07-11-07, 01:46 PM
S
Have you painted other projects in your house? I ask because it looks like your prep is okay, and ProBlock and SuperPaint are fine coatings. It wouldn't hurt to scuff sand the primer, but the paint should do okay without that step.

It may be your rolling technique or materials. A common cause of roller marks and coating uneveness is "pushing" the paint out of the roller and/or using a poor quality or too-small roller cover.

When I recently painted a room, my 3/8" Purdy White dove was used to coat a single 8ft floor to ceiling stripe, and then I backrolled the previous stripe. It used nearly two gallons of paint for two coats on a 12x14 room, but there were ZERO roller marks with my medium-green paint, and not very much roller texture either.

If you are pushing on the roller cover to squeeze out paint, you are trying to cover too much area with one roller load. You can also try a larger diameter cover, which will hold more paint. Many of the pros here use a 50/50 wool/poly 1/2" cover.

Lastly, are you waiting for the paint to completely dry before evaluating the coating and attempting to touch up? I ask because with my painting project, the walls looked terriable while still wet. Just like you, it looked uneven, roller marks up the wazoo, etc. Three hours later, it looked great. Resist the temptation to touch up until the recoat time has elapsed (4 hours in the case of SuperPaint.)

SirWired

Old 07-11-07, 06:20 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I agree with sirwired. Depending on the condition of the paint on the paneling it may need a scuff sanding, maybe more. Applying the paint correctly should give good results.

Don't try to squeeze paint out of the roller. Let the roller do the work, keep it full of paint and roll it out lightly.

BTW - you probably didn't need a primer if the previous paint was in good condition.

Old 07-12-07, 11:16 AM
K
Thanx a bunch for the feedback, folks. I have taken on other painting projects, but only on drywall, and with happy outcomes. Reflecting back on this project, maybe I was pressing a bit. I'm using good quality rollers and I am waiting for the paint to thouroughly dry to assess the results, so it has to be the technique. I'll ease up and see what happens. Thanx again for the help!

Old 07-12-07, 11:32 AM
K
one more question, if ya don't mind - should I simple put another coast over the entire wall or will re-rolling over the markings do the trick? Not looking for shortcuts here, as my main goal is to have a great looking wall at the end of the day. Or three days. Thanx again. kevin

Old 07-12-07, 04:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Can you feel the roller marks or just see them? If you can feel them they may need to be sanded down, otherwise it should be fine to paint over them.
Be sure to let the roller do most of the work. A full roller is only good for about 1 swipe up and down the wall. Put a good heavy coat over about 3' of wall and then with a slightly dry roller, roll gently over what you have already applied.

Paneling isn't quite as forgiving as drywall - especially if there is some texture involved. But using good painting techniques will easily give good results.

Old 07-13-07, 06:04 AM
S
Originally Posted by khawk
one more question, if ya don't mind - should I simple put another coast over the entire wall or will re-rolling over the markings do the trick? Not looking for shortcuts here, as my main goal is to have a great looking wall at the end of the day. Or three days. Thanx again. kevin
I would put a coat over the entire wall.

SirWired

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: