trim color transition at doorway

Old 07-15-07, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question trim color transition at doorway

I am working on a project to put in laminate flooring, which of course requires pulling the baseboards to install. And I want to replace the baseboards and door moldings, which are currently poorly painted, with stained wood. On the doorways, my plan was just to strip the paint, refinish and stain the door jambs, and install new trim stained to match. But in the bathroom and bedroom, I prefer the white trim. So at the doorways to these rooms, I don't know how to transition. Can I leave one side of the doorway painted, and then stain the other side? I am not sure at all how it would look. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-07, 05:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 158 Votes on 140 Posts
Welcome to the diy forums!

When you change trim color at a door opening basically everything that shows when the door is shut is painted/stained color A, the other side of the door and jamb is done in color B. On the door itself [if it opens in] you will finish the outside of the door and the heal edge [hinge side] color A while the inside and toe edge will be color B.

If the woodwork has always been painted it is likely that the jambs and trim are fingerjoint - paint grade, not stain grade. You may be able to strip and stain it anyway but there will be differences in stain color where the pieces are joined.

It isn't uncommon for one room to be painted trim and the next room to be stained.

Old 08-16-07, 06:43 AM
thanks

Finally back. It took me a while to get back to my project. Busy at work. I've started stripping my door casings, but its slow going. If anyone has any suggestions for getting twenty years of paint off easily, I would love to hear them.

Also, thanks for the previous response, it was very helpful.

Old 08-16-07, 05:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 158 Votes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by smallhouse View Post
If anyone has any suggestions for getting twenty years of paint off easily, I would love to hear them.

the only easy way I know is to let someone else do it

The main thing is to keep focused on the end result and all the pride you will have from having done a good job

Old 08-17-07, 04:31 AM
Cool

Hopefully that will be my brother. Luckily I don't have to have all this finished before my cabinets and laminate floors get in. I will be posting for more help when they do, I am certain. And I will be working on the doors for the rest of the year. Thanks again.