How fast does alkyd enamel cure?

Old 07-20-07, 08:01 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How fast does alkyd enamel cure?

A follow-up to a recent posting. I painted a lot of trim with Benjamin Moore Alkyd Satin Impervo, what I was told would be "super white". I now realize that the eventual yellowing of the alkyd Impervo will happen within a year's time and will be really undesirable (for several reasons, but mainly because I really want the trim to be and remain super-white), and I am now considering re-painting some/all of the already-painted trim at least using BM Waterborne Satin Impervo, super white, which will not yellow.

My plan is;
1) Wait for the Alkyd Impervo, which was applied just a few days ago, to cure
2) Prime with BM Alkyd interior Enamel Underbody Primer (one coat)
3) Apply Waterborne Impervo (with some XIM Latex Xtender to try to achieve as close an alkyd-like smoothness and consistency as I can) (two coats).

My question is: how long should I wait after having applied the Alkyd Impervo? Someone told me "a week", while someone else told me "a few months". I could scrub-sand the trim if it helps. I would like to re-coat with Waterborne sooner rather than later.

Thanks

Old 07-21-07, 04:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
If I remember correctly, oil base enamel cures in 72 hrs. You definetly want to sand away some of the gloss before applying the primer.

Old 07-21-07, 05:23 AM
It says on the back of the can (I just looked) 5-7 days to reach its proper sheen (fully cured)...

PS: If you asked this question at the paint store and they couldn't answer it, you need to find another paint store.

Old 07-21-07, 01:59 PM
G
I would wait 30 days BEFORE painting with latex topcoat. The latex "skins" much faster than oil, and can act as a barrier for the uncured oil undneath. Chances of failure are probably low if you paint sooner, but you are already cleaning up after one mess, why create another.

Go ahead and prime within a few days, and sanding will most likely be a waste of time. Worst case will be that the oil topcoat on will "pill and roll" versus sand to a dust. If you "pill and roll" your going to have one heck of a mess. Up to and including skim coating with mud because it is nearly impossible to get a smooth topcoat on a cratered surface.

I would prime, wait 30 days, then topcoat with latex.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: