Sherwin-Williams Paint Question

Old 07-16-07, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Sherwin-Williams Paint Question

I am looking for an entry door color for a house painted in SW 7502 Dry Dock,
a medium beige gray color. The trim color is SW Sandbar and is similar to the color of dry sand.

The entry door is a textured Orepac fiberglass door with leaded glass taking up the majority of the top half, raised panels on the lower half.

Any suggestions? Light color? Dark color?

Also, should any colors be avoided?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-07, 08:50 PM
New here but, I have a beige / gray brick home and the door is a dark brown. Looking at Sherwin Williams site, the color closest is 7520 - Plantation Brown and I like the contrast that is provided however my door is solid with sidelights and is trimmed in white.

Last edited by marksr; 07-17-07 at 05:08 AM. Reason: removed unneeded qoute
Old 07-16-07, 10:02 PM
While I haven't seen those specific colors, I do have some advice.

1) The Sherwin color fan is a measly $10. Well worth the money to take home, and do whatever you want with it. I don't know how long it would have taken my wife and I to choose colors without it.

2) Sherwin also sells "Color-To-Go" samples for a measly $5. For your $5, you get an entire quart of something resembling extremely cheap paint. Buy samples of the colors you are considering, coat several square feet of wall, and coat some trim next to it to see how it looks in your room. Your investment is only $10, which is much less than the $90+ you would spend if you bought the paint and decided you didn't like the colors. We went through 2-4 samples in each room before deciding on a color.

SirWired

Old 07-17-07, 12:26 AM
Smile Thanks...

...Wagon and Sir for replying.

I actually have the fan deck and close to 20 Color-to-Go samples. We painted the entire exterior and interior of the home with SW (after reading the suggestions made on this board) and bought samples of colors before making any final decision.

The problem with the door is I don't know what avenue to go down. Red, blue, green? Light or dark color?

I know it is a matter of personal taste, but I don't know what door colors are popular and what door colors may be considered tacky.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 07-17-07, 05:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I don't know about your particular color but SWP [as most all paints] has color pamphlets that show groups of colors that go well together. The sales personel may also be helpfull in giving advice.

Old 07-17-07, 12:53 PM
Drive around

I know it sounds stupid but when I tell people this a lot of the time they never thought of it. (I used to work at a Benjamin Moore store in Canada). Take a drive through the neighborhood and look at what colors people are painting the house, trim, doors etc. Find houses you like and make note of how they painted (Ie Light trim with dark siding or dark trim and light siding) also make note of the door colors etc.

This may not help choosing the Color but it will give you a good idea as to if you should go darker on the door or lighter and you might even see a color you like in the process....I have heard of people knocking on doors and asking what color they painted the house. People like to hear other people like what they have done.

Old 07-19-07, 01:31 PM
Smile Thanks again!

marksr, I think SW 7586-Stolen Kiss might be the color. It is a medium red and the salesperson suggested it was a popular red.

liquid, I have friends that are painting their house the same color of a house they saw while vacationing in Colorado. They marched right up to the door and asked the homeowners the color. I know people do it, I am just too chicken. Incidentally, I found exterior house colors by driving around; found a scheme, went to my friendly SW store and found similar colors.

I thank everyone for their suggestions.