Paint Type Question, Please ?

Old 07-17-07, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint Type Question, Please ?

Hello,

Live in New England.
Just had the house re-sided with the typical Cedar horizontal Clapboards.

Had them use pre-primed on both sides (oil primer apparently) siding.

So, I thought the rest is simple; right ?
Just get a few quotes from painters for putting on two coats of the best Latex paint that Benj. Moore has.
Thought it would be so simple.

Anyway, two of them said that I absolutely don't want Latex Paint, as it will probably peel in a few years, and that what "most folks" are now using is: "100% Acrylic Latex Stain (& Wood Protector)"

I never heard of this product.

He did open a can of it to show me, and the stuff really looks thick; just like paint.

To me, a stain was something that always had to seep into the wood, and on the thin side.
Obviously, this stuff couldn't thru the primer on the siding that is now there.

Is this what "most folks" are now using ?

Does it just sit on the primer, or... ?

**What are the pros and cons relative to just Benj. Moore regular Latex paint, please ?

BTW: he likes California for this stuff ?
If we do go with it, California the brand to use ?

So, pros and cons, and what would you do please ?

Thank you very much.

Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-07, 08:07 PM
There is a such thing as solid color exterior stain, which is presumably what you were shown. The name "stain" suggests that it will somehow soak into the wood rather than forming a film on the surface like paint. This is somewhat true, but it is also misleading, because it suggests to customers that what they are applying is incompatible with peeling, and the other sorts of failures we see in exterior paint. It turns out that solid color stain, in its oil based version, is something like a thinner version of paint. The thinner nature of the stain allows it to better penetrate the surface (though it is still largely a film-forming product), and also to allow the texture of the wood to show through the finished film (as opposed to paint, which obscures the wood's texture). The newest 100% acrylic exterior stains have a similar relationship to acrylic/latex paints, though the specifics of this have not been well characterized by the manufacturers.

Anyhow, most stain manufacturers want you to put the stain directly onto bare or previously stained wood. Some will advise priming if the wood is in terrible shape, or if you want to block out tannin bleeds/knots, but the general rule is to skip priming. Given that your siding is already primed, there's little to be gained by choosing a stain over a paint. So pick a top quality, 100% acrylic exterior paint and just use that.

Old 07-18-07, 05:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
There are times [especially with certain colors] that you need to prime cedar prior to applying a solid latex stain. The benifits of solid stain are it is less likely to peel and it allows the grain of the wood to show more than it would with a heavier coat of paint. Paint will last longer than solid stain but will likely need more prep when it comes time to repaint.

As with any work hired out it is best to get multiple quotes. This will allow you to be certain you are paying a fair price and you can also compare the different painter's recomendations for the coating to be used.

I'm not familiar with california coatings, while often it is best to stick with a national brand there are times with local paint manufactures have a better coating tailor made for your local.

Old 07-18-07, 10:25 AM
There could be specific reasons why a solid stain was suggested, but as a general rule, their is no problem at all with two coats premium Ben Moore exterior on your primed siding

As the siding is new, most of the specific reasons for needing a stain are not there, so I'm not sure why they would insist on it, unless it's a personal preference or your house has excessive moisture

Anyway, it's not really what "most folks" are using, but it is used and is helpful if certain conditions exist

I have not used the California Coatings solid stain
I have used other California paint products, and was satisfied with the results, and would probably not hesitate to use their solid stain if the chance arose

Interestingly enough, the company is based here in Massachusetts
It was started as a coatings supplier for Raytheon, and at the time the manufacturers of California had a great reputation for aerospace/military-industrial products
So I guess they thought that name might inspire some confidence

So, I'm not really sure why the solid stain was recommended by two contractors
Perhaps a getting a few more bids might be in order
Or maybe a little more information is needed
Did they give any other reasons? (other than the "paint will peel in a year or two"...which, btw, is not true of a quality coating applied properly)
House on the water?
Excessive moisture inside the house?