Interior "stripe" painting procedure?

Old 07-20-07, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Interior "stripe" painting procedure?

HI

Interior "stripe" painting procedure? On drywall other than making a vertical line and applying painters tape " blue" , how do you continue to make
different colors without bleeding under the tape? Do you over paint or draw your new line back on what you painted after drying?

Have seen the in between acts but never the total procedure, would like to try it.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-07, 01:36 PM
Getting painter's tape to work on a wall surface should be much easier than using it to mask off moulding because you aren't crammed up in a corner. I would think rubbing it down securely with your fingers would work just fine.

SirWired

Last edited by DIYaddict; 07-20-07 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed
Old 07-20-07, 02:01 PM
Question

How do you make the next stripe in another color, just strike a new line. i'm kind of wondering if you can make the 2nd line by lining it up over the first painted edge?
if you know? or have done t?

Old 07-20-07, 04:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Mask off to paint every other line first. Use a small "whizz or Hot Dog" Roller and apply the paint in as normal in the middle of the strip almost up to the tape edge. Then finish with one pass covering 1/2 of the tape in a perfectly straight line following following the direction of the tape. Don't over rub the blue tape when you put it on or it may pull up some of the paint when you remove it. Take the tape down while the paint is still wet by pulling out and away from the area you painted.

Let this dry completely....Then mask off for the other sections using the straight line you painted in the first section as a guide to mask. Apply paint in the same manner.

Detail as needed after you remove all tape with a small brush, or if you are good at it, a high quality sash brush.

Never skimp on your tools, especially when painting.

Old 07-20-07, 04:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I dislike using tape for all the obvious reasons. What i normally do is either chalk a line or preferably draw a light pencil line with a straight edge. I understand that the typical diyer may not have the brush skills for this to be an option.

If you use tape, be sure to remove it before the paint is completely dry - this will prevent it from pulling paint off with the tape. You also must make sure that the painted surface you are taping over is sufficently dry so the tape doesn't remove any of it either.

Old 07-20-07, 05:07 PM
Question

[--------------------------------------------------------

You know i am a little confused, when you say every other line, first you have 2 vertical lines in one section, so you paint that one section as you described, then you skip the next section consisting of 2 lines and go to the 3rd section? You do a section at a time?

Last edited by marksr; 07-20-07 at 05:20 PM. Reason: remove unneed quote
Old 07-20-07, 05:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What czizzi means is you obviously can't paint all the different colored stripes at one time. You would mask off for color A and paint, after the tape is removed and the paint good and dry you could then apply tape to color A so you can apply color B

Old 07-20-07, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
I might add that sometimes the white low-adhesive tape sometimes works better than the blue painter's tape.

Old 07-20-07, 08:52 PM
Question

thanks again

"Let this dry completely....Then mask off for the other sections using the straight line you painted in the first section as a guide to mask. Apply paint in the same manner.

Detail as needed after you remove all tape with a small brush, or if you are good at it, a high quality sash brush. "

Latex we usually use, flat, is better or worse for this project, we don't want a gloss

the tape should be 3" or so wide?

i guess the tape maintains a straight line assuming we do things right
and the "detail if needed would be to touch up "bleeds"

if 2 coats are needed?

have a basement thinking about some of this plus a couple other rooms.

Old 07-24-07, 01:50 PM
how many different colors are you using??

if you're only using 2 colors, paint the whole room in the lighter color. then just tape to the left and right of each darker stripe, and you'll be able to do all your stripes at once.

Old 07-24-07, 07:35 PM
Question

Thanks

That seems to sound like a good idea,...

I'm not sure f i know what this is below that was quoted earlier, can you advise?

"I might add that sometimes the" white low-adhesive tape " sometimes works better than the blue painter's tape."

Old 07-25-07, 05:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I thought the green tape was the low tac tape but with all the different brands there may be differences in the color tape used.

A low tac or low adhesive tape is a masking tape that has less or a different type of adhesive making less of a bond to the substrate = it removes easier, less adhesive residue. If you go to a real paint store to buy your coatings you can tell them what/how you plan to tape and they can recomend the best tape for your job.