Paint disposal

Old 07-24-07, 04:17 PM
Received 10 Votes on 9 Posts
Paint disposal

Any thoughts on disposing of about 15-20 gallons of latex paint? I have a store room with 30-40 cans of paint. Some of them are rusted, all have been opened. Most have at least half the contents remaining. I suspect many are at least 20 years old.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-07, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If cans are less than 1/4 full, removed lids and let dry out in dry, well-ventilated area. For cans more than 1/4 full, paint stores sell waste paint hardener. Kitty litter, shredded paper, or mulch can be used as a bulk/drying agent.

You can also call your local trash collector for policies re: paint disposal. Most will not accept paint cans unless empty and dry. You can check with local paint stores to see if they accept waste paint for disposal.

Old 07-24-07, 06:50 PM
Paint disposal

Check with your local county.

Our county has a hazardous houshold waste (HHW) center where you can bring any paint in any condition and many other "hazardous" materials (solvents, cleaners, etc.). No charge, but they are only open on Fridays and Satudays. - Usually materials not accepted for the weekly recycling. They do not take computers, TVs and monitors.

I had about 20 cans and they even unloaded them after showing proof of residency.

Dick

Old 07-25-07, 03:13 PM
Another important point for disposal is to make sure that the labels are all intact and visible on the cans. The recycling people need to know what sort of paint it is in order to dispose of it safely.

Old 07-25-07, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the responses. I am building a decorative block wall that will eventually be faced with stone. My original plan was to fill the block cores with a dry mix of masonry cement and sand. Anyone think of a reason why I couldn't mix the paint (all water based latex) with the cement and pack the block cavities with that?

My town collects HHW but once year in November. I don't want to wait that long.

Any idea why water based latex paint would be considered hazardous houshold waste?

Old 07-25-07, 07:58 PM
Most Latex paint still contains some amount of VOC's. Less than Alkyd paint, but it is still there. That is not something you want in a landfill. Another reason I saw mentioned in the paper here is that the cans have the disturbing tendency to pop open after baking in a trash can and getting thrown around, which sometimes dumps paint on garbage collectors, trucks, the ground, etc.

SirWired

Last edited by twelvepole; 07-26-07 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Quote deleted. No need to quote entire post in order to reply.
Old 07-26-07, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 195 Votes on 181 Posts
We also have a local cleanup day where they accept paint. But if we have some we need to get rid of, we will pour it out on some old carpet or cardboard and let it dry before throwing it in the dumpster.

Old 07-26-07, 11:41 AM
Most landfills take paint, oils and other chemicals everyday.
A quick phone call to your local station would let you know what they take and how much it costs.

As an example, our local takes oil, oil products and batteries for free (they get paid for these items by a recycler), but charge $5 each for tires.

Old 07-26-07, 01:20 PM
We haven't had a landfill for 20 years. We now have a recycling transfer station that will accept oil and batteries for free (of course - they sell them) and they charge $5 for tires and $10 for freon containing appliances. They do not accept any other hazardous waste (including latex paint).

I used an old mud pan as a form, made a stiff mix with masonry cement and paint and I'm waiting to see if it will cure. If it does the paint will end up in the block wall.

Interesting change of names for what used to be the town dump where we honed our shooting skills as kids. It went from dump to landfill to environmental trasfer station.

I once held the dump record - 44 rats from one 50 round box of 22s. Kids, guns and rats - can you imagine that happening today?

Old 07-26-07, 03:41 PM
Well, we still call them landfills here in the south, cuz that's what they are..

There was a time when you could actually go to the landfill and walk around. It was interesting of a sorts to see the stuff other people threw away.

Target practice however was held at the nearest clay pit.