Painting Aluminum Railing

Old 08-04-07, 08:20 AM
Painting Aluminum Railing

I need to repaint an aluminum railing around a house that is located on an open salt water exposure (i.e. constantly exposed to harsh salt water environment). The condition of the railing varies; part is in good condition, part shows beginning signs of underlying corrosion and in other areas some the paint has already flaked off.

I would appreciate any help on how best to prepare and repaint this railing. Tips on surface preparation, application (brush, roller, spray, or combination), paint selection, techniques etc would be very helpful.

Some items to answer: Is chemical etching required to prep surface or is wire brushing, sandpaper, bronze wool etc (recommend method) sufficient?
How many coats? Is a protective clear coat recommended? Is some special prep required to neutralize corroded areas etc.

Thanks in advance for the help.

P.S. I have a similar problem with the aluminum screen doors and structure, and to a lesser extent to aluminum accordion hurricane shutters. I assume that the same techniques would apply to these areas as well.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-07, 09:17 AM
first clean everything and remove as much of the corrosion as possible. then go to your local paint store and look for an industrial product for application over aluminum. Pratt & Lambert has some good single component and dual component products that should work. you can spray these, it will give a smoother finish.

Old 08-04-07, 09:29 AM
Group Moderator
You could also contact Sherwin Williams and ask about their DTM products (direct to metal). Not sure if they would recommend Fast Clad for aluminum exposed to salt-water or not, but it would be a good question to ask.