Benjamin Moore and the trim from Hell

Old 08-13-07, 06:25 PM
Angry Benjamin Moore and the trim from Hell

Hi,

I was almost finished painting a sunroom trim using BM Regal pearl paint when I encountered trim from Hell. The internal window from the house to the sunroom was originally painted with BM Regal pearl terra cotta colored paint to try a look two days ago, but since we did not like the look I had to switch to a light cream color, also in BM Regal pearl paint.

Weeeell, the cream paint just congealed almost on contact and would not get on evenly, giving instead a ripped fishnet stocking appearance. I wiped it off fast, figuring that may be I had to scuff the first coat before painting the second. Did that and tried to put Zinsser 1-2-3 Primer coat upon the terra cotta just to be safe. The primer congealed just as fast as the cream paint! I have no idea what is going on!

Here is the history of the trim: it was a "preprimed" trim that was covered with a white HD Color Place semi-gloss before it received terra cotta. Terra cotta went on nice and smooth upon the white.

Can anyone help solve the mystery of my misery?

Leo

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-07, 10:31 PM
Any chance the Terra Cotta is an oil (alkyd) based paint?

Old 08-14-07, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by llivshi View Post
Hi,

I was almost finished painting a sunroom trim using BM Regal pearl paint when I encountered trim from Hell. The internal window from the house to the sunroom was originally painted with BM Regal pearl terra cotta colored paint to try a look two days ago, but since we did not like the look I had to switch to a light cream color, also in BM Regal pearl paint.

Weeeell, the cream paint just congealed almost on contact and would not get on evenly, giving instead a ripped fishnet stocking appearance. I wiped it off fast, figuring that may be I had to scuff the first coat before painting the second. Did that and tried to put Zinsser 1-2-3 Primer coat upon the terra cotta just to be safe. The primer congealed just as fast as the cream paint! I have no idea what is going on!

Here is the history of the trim: it was a "preprimed" trim that was covered with a white HD Color Place semi-gloss before it received terra cotta. Terra cotta went on nice and smooth upon the white.

Can anyone help solve the mystery of my misery?

Leo
Need more info. Sounds like surface contamination of some sort. Did you do any surface prep after the terra cotta, before application of subsequent coats?

Did you use a liquid deglosser? Sand and wipe down with anything?

Use a tack cloth to get up all the dust?

Please advise.

Old 08-14-07, 07:44 PM
Ben Moore rep said this ...

All I did was sanded/scuffed the terra cotta with a sanding pad (100 grit). Nothing else.

I ended up calling Ben Moore and talked to a rep. His best theory was that terra cotta has so much pigment (which is oil based) that it did this somehow. Seems fishy to me. I started wondering whether the can was mislabeled at the factory, since it does seem very much like a latex over oil paint pattern of behavior (as Slickshift has implied by his question as well). The can does say latex-based paint, NOT alkyd.

:-)

Old 08-15-07, 07:19 AM
Hmmm...well, regardless, the best solution at this time is to clean, lightly scuff sand, dust, and prime with an oil (alkyd) based primer, then top coat with your latex

This is a little fishy (maybe weird is a better word) though, if I had some BIN (or other shellac-based primer/sealer) around, I might use that instead of oil-based, just to be on the safe side