Using concrete paint on wood?

Old 08-11-07, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using concrete paint on wood?

I've got some Behr 1-Part epoxy acrylic Concrete and Garage Floor paint. Will this hold up on exterior wooden stairs?

I stopped over at Home Depot (yikes!) and Kelly Moore and was told that it'll work fine. While I'm skeptical of any advice from the big box I know the people at KM pretty well and they said if anything it'll hold up better than regular floor paint as it's designed to resist even hot tires under heavy load.

Any thoughts? Thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-07, 05:11 PM
Question Using concrete paint on wood?

Since my previous post ("Using concrete paint on wood?") went unanswered, I thought I'd take a different approach. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Everywhere I've ever lived, even in mild California, I see peeling paint on wood and concrete steps. Some say stain works better but from my observation it still peels and wears away.

I seriously think you could make a fortune if you could make a paint that would hold up to foot traffic on stairs.

So, my questions: Does anyone have a prep/primer/paint combination that works well on wooden steps?

Epoxy paints are available for garage floors. These are heavy-duty rated and supposedly hold up to hot tires and the weight of cars. That's a couple tons- putting a bit more stress on the paint than people walking. Is there any reason that such paints would not be better for wood stair application?

Of course I realize that paint formulated for concrete is different than paint designed for wood, and that epoxy has different properties than latex enamel. But maybe different in this case means better? More expensive perhaps, but maybe it'll hold up better?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this, or any information as to why epoxy concrete paint would not work on wood. Thanks for any comments.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 08-21-07 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Two Posts Now Merged Into This One Thread
Old 08-20-07, 05:59 PM
A good epoxy paint for concrete should work on wood, if you take the time to prep it right. this means powerwashing, sanding, ect. Do not buy the cheap stuff at the box stores, go to your local paint store and see what they have. P&L makes a great industrial epoxy as does rustomlem. But look to pay 40-60 dollars per gallon, or more.

Old 08-20-07, 11:39 PM
bclacquer,

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. There's a Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams fairly close and I'll run out there this week. I certainly don't mind paying a premium for quality epoxy paint if it holds up well.

Old 08-21-07, 05:10 AM
"prep/primer/paint combination that works well on wooden steps?"

Outside?
Paints not that good...no wonder they are peeling
I'd never paint outside steps
(and porch and floor enamel would be to slippery if it got wet)
Use a solid stain (looks like paint) designed for decks
No primer, strip/scrape/sand off any old paint you can though

Old 08-21-07, 09:18 AM
Received 10 Votes on 9 Posts
I don't understand? Why not use paint for a deck or steps? I have a 20+ y/o deck that I just painted. It's the 4th time I've painted it in 20 years. The steps are also painted with a sand additive for traction. They don't wear any more than the deck surface. The deck gets lots of sun and heat in the summer and survives New England winters. Am I missing something?

I guess my point is that a good exterior deck paint is an option to stain. It's a good choice if you are trying to color match or if you're not concerned about wood grain exposure.

Old 08-21-07, 11:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
95% of the time stain works better than paint on exterior decks/stairs, especially over PT wood. Paint has a tendancy to peel = scrape & prime while stain usually wears away and only needs cleaning and recoating.

Old 08-21-07, 01:08 PM
"It's the 4th time I've painted it in 20 years. The steps are also painted with a sand additive for traction. They don't wear any more than the deck surface. The deck gets lots of sun and heat in the summer and survives New England winters. Am I missing something?"

Not missing something, but you are lucky
Your's is the exception, not the rule

"I guess my point is that a good exterior deck paint is an option to stain."

Not really
Your case is unusual
I can't make the blanket statement that paint is a good option to stain for decks
In reality, it's usually not
For the reasons marksr mentioned

Old 08-21-07, 04:06 PM
Received 10 Votes on 9 Posts
It might be because the PT decking that I used was already dry. My deck is 5/4X6 PT pine. The deck boards were stored for over a year in a garage loft.
I've never had a problem with peeling. The last paint job was to fix a mold problem caused by a grease spill that happened during a turkey fry. I ended up power washing and sanding the bare wood to finally get rid of the grease.
Otehr than that I probably wouldn't have had to repaint for a while.