Need paint recommendation for kitchen cabs

Old 08-22-07, 04:22 PM
Need paint recommendation for kitchen cabs

I am starting to repaint my kitchen cabinets & doors. They are currently stained wood. I have thoroughly cleaned and sanded them. I am going to use a Zinsser BIN primer. But can anyone recommend a specific brand/type of paint for the top coats? I plan to use an oil-based paint, but I'm a little confused about which brand to use. And are alkyds good or bad for this situation? I used a Rustoleum oil-based paint on my test door, and the finish turned out great, but I know that product is specifically for metal, not wood. Any thoughts?

Rathat

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-07, 04:31 PM
Update- I'm thinking maybe the Benjamin Moore Waterborne Satin Impervo 314. Does this sound good? But I'm a little confused, as it says low lustre, but it also says enamel. So is it glossy or not? I'd like the cabinets to be somewhat glossy. Thank you!

Old 08-22-07, 05:21 PM
The Waterborne Satin Impervo is somewhat glossy and perfect for cabinet topcoating
It is low lustre, inasmuchas it's not a gloss/high-gloss
I would call it a satin/semi
It is an excellent premium waterborne enamel

I would not recommend the rustoleum for cabinets

On the oil/waterborne
I'm partial to oils myself, but have come to the conclusion todays premium waterborne enamels are pretty much almost as good, and easier to clean up (no haz-mat waste either) then their oil-based (alkyd) counterparts
These days I do not hesitate to use waterborne enamel (specifically Impervo) where I would have preferred oil before...even in my own home

Old 08-22-07, 08:05 PM
Thank you! Your comment are extremely helpful to me. I think I'll go with the Benjamin Moore Waterborne Impervo.

Thanks!
Rathat