Need Advice!

Old 08-26-07, 07:57 PM
Need Advice!

We have a cottage on the water in Cape Cod. It is an 85 year old prefab/modular with interior walls that are made of particle board. The house is not winterized. We had the interior professionally painted about 5 year ago but much of the paint on the walls and ceilings cracked and started to come off. We sanded many of the troubled spots and primed with latex primer and then painted over that, but that is also cracking and coming off. I need to paint again. Is there any product or special paint or technique that I can use that will last for more than a year?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-07, 08:42 PM
Just throwing it out there, but what about exterior paint? Exterior paint is specialized for changing temperature and humidity, and seems to resist peeling much better in situations where moisture is exchanged, or when the substrate changes size due to variations in temperature. Interior paint is less flexible in this regard (more durable, however), and so you'd need to get rid of it all for any of this to work.

Old 08-27-07, 04:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

What was originally on the walls? Are they peeling down to the raw partical board or is just the last layer of paint/primer peeling?

Old 08-27-07, 02:56 PM
peeling paint

In most of the rooms, it is peeling down to the particle board. In the other room, which is newer due to a fire, it is peeling down to the previous layer of paint.

Old 08-27-07, 04:39 PM
Howdy Neighbor

Is the cottage one of those Sears and Roebuck ones?
They were very popular around that time

Well, regardless, it's hard to say why the old paint is pealing w/o seeing it
There are numerous reasons it could be
This type of project, in this place, requires special prep, product, and application, and attention, that regular interior paint jobs don't

It's tough unless we know what the painter used 5 years ago, and what they painted over....if it was original oil-based or a previous latex coat

If the interior walls are the original, and "particle board", then that's one thing right there (latex is unlikely to stick)

I'd like to stick a moisture meter on them also

The five year old pealing paint is probably a separate issue
But it would be helpful to know what is was painted over, and what was used

Are the walls hollow but uninsulated?

Old 08-29-07, 10:46 AM

It's like the sears ones, only another brand that was also popular at the time.

I'm not completely sure of what the painter used, my Mother in law oversaw that project, but I think it was latex. The paint we have been using to patch up is latex.

The walls are hollow, no unsulation.

If the house is closed up for a while, it defenitely smell musty.

A friend recommended using "Coverstain" as a primer and then painting over that. If I went this route, would I have to paint over that primer with an oil based paint, since it's and oil based primer, or can I use Latex?

Old 08-29-07, 11:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most oil based primers are formulated to be top coated with either latex or oil base paint. I've never been in one of those type cottages but assume the original finish was an oil base varnish or shellac. To paint over these types of finishes you need to sand, apply a solvent based primer and then paint with latex. Assuming the correct primer/prep was skipped, would cause the paint to lift at some point. The temperature extremes also play a part in the deteriation of the paint job.