Can You paint a Pop Corn Ceiling?

Old 08-28-07, 01:07 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Question Can You paint a Pop Corn Ceiling?

Hi everyone. It has been a long while since I have been on this forum. A lot has changed. I put the last remodel nail into the for saqle sign at my old large home and downsized into a 1950 Cape Cod with an attached Sun/Family room. We are starting the projects here slowly because, I for one want to stay a while this time. In the Sun/Family room, the ceiling has a lightly sprayed popcorn ceiling that was done in the 70's when the addition was done. It has yellowed from age and yes, the last owners were smokers. Can I use a large nap roller to prime and paint the ceiling? It is firm, I tried to pick some of the texture off but it would not budge and again it is a light coat. the corn is not big pops. Thanks for the advise as I really don't want to scrap it off or spray it as the ceiling slopes from 15' to 12' and has stained beams and cross members that are beautiful, but would make the job extremely hard.

Thanks for all replies,

Doug

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-07, 01:29 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You sure can
Sounds like you checked it OK
-You'll know if it's not adhering rather quickly

You'll want to seal in that nicotine
Normally I'd recommend an oil-based primer/sealer for that
But if it's not too bad, the Sherwin William's Prep Rite (water-based) is easier and works real well

Old 08-28-07, 01:32 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
IMO spraying would be easier than rolling and give you a more uniform look. You just have to mask everything off. I have had difficulty in the past trying to roll popcorn. It has a tendancy to pull off the ceiling and get into the roller. Then you are faced with trying to patch a spot. It is also difficult to get good coverage in all the nooks and crannys with a roller.

You will also have to stain block the smoke residue or it will bleed throught he paint.

Old 08-29-07, 05:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
If you roll a coat of oil base primer on the ceiling it is doubtfull you will have any issues with the popcorn coming loose. Oil primer also does a better job of sealing stains than latex does

While spraying will apply the paint quicker and can do a good job, all the cover up involved usually eats up any time saved.

Old 09-11-07, 11:01 AM
M
Painting Pop Corn Ceiling

Thanks everyone. I will be using a large nap roller and an oil base seeler. Then a latex ceiling white. I agree the time it would take to tape everything off to spray would be a lot as I have stained beams and cross members to by-pass.

Appriciate all the advise and info.

This project can now be scheduled behind painting all the other rooms.

Regards,

Doug

Old 11-27-07, 12:00 PM
M
Ceiling Painting Done

Well Thanksgiving turned out to be a BIG TURKEY!!! You can roll popcorn ceilings but..... expect to be speckled!!! The primer kicked them pops all over the place. Good thing I dropped clothed everything, including taping off the opening into the next room. What a mess but the oil base primer did seal it. When I painted the finish coat it did cover well and all though some of the pops still came loose it was not as bad. I had to clean the walls down before I could paint them. If it was not for the wood beams I think I would have spread the ceiling. Well the will be the last paint that ceiling gets from me, the next owners whenever that maybe will have to deal with it.

Thanks for all the advice.

Regards,

Doug

Old 11-27-07, 07:07 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the update!