Sherwin Williams homeowner vs professional

Old 08-29-07, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sherwin Williams homeowner vs professional

Does anyone know the difference between these two lines? I have been using the professional lineup in my house with great results. I use PROMAR 200 which is their best grade in the pro line. The price is very reasonable. When I looked at their homeowner lineup, I was shocked at the prices..... 30-45 bucks a gallon!! Is this stuff really different/better than the pro line or is it basically the same stuff but with a fade warranty included (pro line doesn't have the warranty). ????

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-07, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've heard differing information on this. Some reports are that the ProMar200 (the top-grade ProMar) = SuperPaint. Some say that ProMar200 = Classic 99.

To help figure this out, I went to the Sherwin website and pulled up the Data Sheets for the paints, and the answer is: Neither. The dry film thickness for all three paints is different, which means that they must be different paints.

I cannot speculate how the performance of the paint differs.

Nobody actually pays that 30-45/gal. SW seems to always be running sales, and when they aren't my "standard" DIY discount is 20% off-list. I will note that SuperPaint, Cashmere, Harmony and Duration are listed on the SW website as products sold to pros also. (Classic99, StylePerfect (which you'd have to be nuts to use), and interestingly, ProClassic Waterbourne, are not)

SirWired

Old 08-29-07, 10:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
IMO the promar 200 line is great paint. It covers well and touch ups good. It is my paint of choice for new construction. It also does a decent job on repaints. I doubt it is as good as super paint or duration but it is a good product for the price.